Help to ID a speaker please...

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

proby1

Help to ID a speaker please...

Post by proby1 »

Hi,

I'm looking at a Marshall 4x12 on ebay the model number is 1982... I've worked out that these came with different speakers over the years, even though they were all labeled as having 120w power handling.

Anyway, what do you think it is? And are they efficient enough for an 18w TMB to sound good in a band setting? (currently using a G12H30 anniv and a V30 in a Marshall 1922, not quite cutting it on solos).

Any help would be gratefully recieved...
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

That's an original Celestion Silver Alnico. Possibly the holy grail of speakers for Marshall and Vox amps. They're rated at 15W, but can usually handle more than that due to the way alnico compresses. Tone to die for, with warmth and amazing crisp definition (as long as the cones aren't too badly worn out). If you look at the original 18W amps in the gallery section you will see some of these speakers. You can also hear them in the OT shootout clips in the Zounds section. I recently saw a pair of these on sale for $1000. 8O Unfortunately, the RI version (I have one that's in my current avatar) and Celestion's current Alnico Blue speakers don't sound anywhere near as good IMHO. They're also pretty good speakers too BTW, just not in the same league as the original silvers.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

Is it this cab?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marshall-4x12-198 ... _500wt_967

If so that guy doesn't know what he has. Only 34 pounds with two hours to go, too. Shame it's local pickup only. Strong buy recommendation!
0 x

proby1

Post by proby1 »

sshhhhssshhhh!

just figuring out how to tell the wife! I work about 40 minutes away...
0 x

proby1

Post by proby1 »

Lost out at the end lads... sorry. I'm gutted tbh.
0 x