1x12 Combo - Speaker choices

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

sws1
Unrated

1x12 Combo - Speaker choices

Post by sws1 »

I know there are alot of 12" speakers out there, but it seams that the most common used in 18-watters are Greenbacks or Blues.

On the Celestion website (i.e., the window they have where you can select the type of music you want, then the amp choice), I LOVE the sound of the Blues Amp, 1x12 combo, with Celestion Blue. Exact sound I want.

Can I make a 1x12 with a Celestion Blue? Or are they not able to handle the power?
0 x

Moose

Post by Moose »

That Celestion is a 15 watter, isn't it? I thought it was 20W for some reason.

A second best choice, and one with similar sound (though not exact) is the Weber Blue Dog. The have an alnico version that you can get at 30W.

Personally, I've only experience with greenbacks and G12H, so I can't make a personal comparison beween the Weber Blue Dog and the Celestion for you. Someone else might chime in who has heard one or both.
0 x

Psalm150
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Psalm150 »

Weber has the article on his site from Guitar player magazine comparing the celestion blue and the weber blue.
I had (just sold a a friend)a 18-20w 1x12 combo with a Celestion blue in it. It just plain sounded the best. You can manage with a 15w speaker if you're just a little careful. YOu can hear when the speaker is being stressed before it blows. I played that amp wound all the way up and it didn't blow. I say go with the Celestion.
0 x