G12H30

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Colin_D
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Colin_D »

PepeJara wrote:Perhaps yours is defective, or you equalize your amp for the V30 instead of the G12h, but my experience is that I love my G12h (I have them in my 2061cx cab and in my Matchlees spitfire) and I get tired very soon of the V30 tone (at first it does not sound bad, but after a few minutes I can´t stand it) :wink:

PD: in what amp do you run them? :wink: I don´t like V30 in 18 watters at all :roll:
I have a TMB, which I think the V30 is well suited to because of the booming bass tendency of the TMB in general. After I built it, I tweaked it to my favorite guitar. And since the cab sat in the same room the whole time I suppose you could say it's been EQ'ed to my room as well. I've gigged it a couple times and each time the sound guy stuck an e-609 in front of each speaker, then settled on the V30.
I guess it's not that big of a deal. As I said before, with both speakers in parallel it sounds really good in any room it's been it, but the recorded tone of that G12H30 always feels like it has a wet blanket between the cab and the mic.
I've tried a lot of different mic positions, along with only using one speaker. The V30 by itself is fatiguing very quickly and the G12H30 by itself is quite dark. I suppose I should quit worrying and just practice more anyway. :roll: Maybe I just like the V30! I had this preconception that the V30 was only for ultra high gain freaks who paint their fingernails black and use dual rectifiers. Since I fancy myself a classic rock/blues player I had planned to replace my V30 with a greenback but I just can't do it! I love my V30 in my 18 watt Marshall!!! And now I'm proud to admit it!!!! O Rapture! It's like a spiritual revelation!

Is there a 12 step program for that? Or a support group or something? :oops:
0 x

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

Colin,

It's ok. If you like it's good. I built a Vox clone and ended up with a V-30 in it, because it sounded right to me. The V-30 is not my first choice for a stock 18watt 1974, but it is about what works for you, not me.

Don't feel bad. We all still respect you. :wink:
0 x

guitarmike2107
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by guitarmike2107 »

Colin_D wrote:
And now I'm proud to admit it!!!! :oops:
well now that you are out of the closet my experince with the v30 is thats it cuts through well and makes it a little easier to record/mike up quickly, I dont use a v30 with my 18watters but I am not against them.

I think the main thing I noticed going from the anniversary to the heritage back to the anniversary is that my bass went from tight to loose to tight.

Mike
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

If you do like the V30, you might want to try the Warehouse Veteran 30 or the Eminence Governor. They're tweaked versions of the V30 and are a bit smoother in the mids.

I'm not a big V30 fan, but the G12H30 is not without its flaws either. I don't care for the G12H30 at all when playing clean since it can sound hollow and unnatural. It's great with overdrive though. If I played mostly overdriven chords, the G12H30 would be king. If I played something else, I might like the V30 better between the two.
0 x

leslie
Transformer Guy

Post by leslie »

krx wrote: To my ears, they sound thin and brittle and have no balls. Plus they just look goofy. You know, for how overwhelmingly popular the strat is...
The guitarists just like to forget that there is a bass in the band, with playing along with the bass... guitar can sound focused and great or can cause unnecessary mess with bass and vocal frequencies.

Speaking in general:
Seems like today majority of guitar players just don't have good band and studio experience, and this majority of so call bedroom players are the majority of amp & speaker buyers.
But it seems that our favourite bedroom sound isn't great sound in the band...
In the band we perceive sound differently, because bass is responsible for bass spectra, cymbals are eating our hi midds and highs and we are adjusting sound accordingly (trying not to overpower vocal) , now that ain't our dream (bedroom) sound isn't it? :)

Particular:
So in the band, when all is sorted right and band pumps togather you got your balls back.
And they all lived hapilly ever after.
0 x

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

Context IS everything...

And let's not forget that 335s and Les Pauls were used on a lot of soul and funk, where you think it would have been a strat or tele and that Led Zep I was mostly recorded not with a Les Paul and Marshall, but a Telecaster and small Supro amp. Who's Next was a Gretsch and small Gibson amp.

So it's more about how you use the tool, than the tool itself.
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

rjgtr wrote:Who's Next was a Gretsch and small Gibson amp.
I believe that was a tweed Bandmaster.
0 x

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

krx wrote:
It might have been. I've heard conflicting stories on it through the years, some from Pete in interviews.
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

rjgtr wrote:
krx wrote:
It might have been. I've heard conflicting stories on it through the years, some from Pete in interviews.
Probably both then :). Those big crunchy power chords definitely sound like a 5E7 to me but there's other stuff going on on that album that could be some kind of single-ended or cathode-biased Gibson.
0 x

Goofy
Unrated

Post by Goofy »

Hi,
I´m shure that Mr. Page used a Telecaster and a little Supro Amp on the first Led Zeppelin album. But lets get back to the speakers. I use a Marshall 1974X amp and after the main transformer died I decided to change both transformers with Ingo Gorges/shinrock 1:1 replicas of the original Radiospares used in 1966. But I was never happy with the 20W G12M speaker. After I got a 1978 G12H with lead cone very cheap this was my first upgrade. The sound became more precise and you could hear every string of the guitar, the original G12M seemed to be more muddy, as if you hear the sound through a telephone. But at higher volumes the G12H could get a little bit shrill. So I decided to buy an old G12H with pulsonic bass cone (102 014). It sounds good at home with a distortion or overdrive in front but the louder it gets the better it gets. No more shrill highs but a very harmonical tone. The natural distortion of the amp with this speaker is exactly what I need. Using the volume and tone pots of my Les Paul Standard for less drive I am able to play without any overdrives.
0 x