Wire for speaker cabinet wiring?

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

George60

Wire for speaker cabinet wiring?

Post by George60 »

I have recently finished a Ceriatone 36W EF86. I have a closed back Stage Craft (nice stuff) two 12" cabinet and just received my speakers. I got a 100w Scumback M75 and a 100w Scumback H75. Why 100w you may ask? I am probably the only person on the face of the earth that is primarily interested in the clean sounds these amps are capable of. To me, it is the sound of rock n' roll BD (before distortion).

I got 8 ohm speakers and will wire them in series for a total of 16 ohms. My question is what wire to use. I have high quality Vampire hook up wire in 14 gauge and 18 gauge. Is there any reason or advantage to using 14 gauge or 18 gauge?
0 x

hotair

Post by hotair »

I would use regular 18 gage lamp cord. It is not like you are going a far distance and the frequency response is not an issue.
0 x

StarGeezers
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by StarGeezers »

The "cork sniffers " will always say to go with the bigger wire ... :roll: Tried everything from busted lamp cord to audiofool' HUGE speaker wire... Can't say I hear a difference...
0 x

George60

Post by George60 »

Thanks for the replies. Then the Vampire 14 gauge Ultra-Pure Ohno Continuous Cast wire it is. Not that I think it makes any difference in a guitar amp but I have it on hand. It is left over from a home stereo speaker project.
0 x