New speaker - high efficiency?

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

azrael
Unrated

New speaker - high efficiency?

Post by azrael »

I currently have a Weber Silver Bell set aside for my 18 watt. However, I'm thinking that I might want a tiny bit more volume just to make sure I can get over a drummer.

So a higher efficiency speaker is a good idea, no?
What speakers pair up well with the 18W?

I was looking at an Eminence Red Fang. Maybe?
What other speakers do you guys like?
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

G12H30 or various clones thereof are very popular with the 18W and are very efficient. Check out the Warehouse Reaper for my favorite but they're all very similar.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

+1 to krx's recommendations.

What's the efficiency of the silver bell BTW?

Run your amp through a 2X12 or 4X12 cab to get more volume. When you multiply the speakers, the sound gets focused into a narrower and louder energy beam.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

Goofy
Unrated

Post by Goofy »

I own a Marshall 1974X. I didn´t like the original G12M and so I changed to a G12H fom 1978 with a lead cone. This speaker was a little bit on the treble side and I changed it to a G12H build Nov. 21. 1970 with a pulsonic 014 cone, 55hz. This one seems to be the right choise. The amp sounds very ballanced and bigger than before. But that´s only my opinion.
0 x

azrael
Unrated

Post by azrael »

Haven't been that active, just enjoying my 18W. :D

Oh wow, my Silver Bell might be at 102dB efficiency!

Still looking at a different speaker, though.
I need more low end. Looking at an Eminence Cannabis Rex or a WGS Reaper 55Hz.
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

WGS Reaper 55Hz.
Those are nice with single coils.
0 x

PeddlerPete
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by PeddlerPete »

"I still need more low end".
Low end eats power, how railed is the amp ? A little louder and a little more low end with small watt amplifier +drummer competition could be like wringing water from the damp cloth.
Silver Bell category speaker narrows the field, 102db narrows it even more.
Recommendation is to consider the 2 speaker cabinet [or second cabinet]. For increased bass extension...it'll still fit easily in the back seat [~large, sealed enclosure], using another Silver Bell category speaker, or two speakers that will be relatively balanced volume.
Spreading the facia and cone area...it sounds to me like you'll be needing 'more' to a degree that will require a second speaker. It changes the tone to a fair degree and weighs a little more, not too many complain about it.
Another alternative is drive more watts into the 1 speaker, but that seemed the wrong direction for me once past around 20 or 30 watts per 12'', YMWV.
Between SP-ohms ratings, amp-power rating, db ratings, possible convenient wirings, [keeping the wires inside the cabinets, and the amp happily loaded], and cabinet configurations / what you have = enough to warrant a good mulling over.
0 x

SpentMusic
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by SpentMusic »

The low end of an 18 watt is very weak and does not hold together when you push the amp. The G12H does help this and is a very efficent speaker but the amp only has so much if you are gigging.
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

You want a LOUD, beefy speaker? Check out the new Weber Legacy series (aka Scumback...) with the 80oz magnets. I'd go with the 30W coil, 75Hz cone, and maybe the large dustcap to tame the high end if you play with a lot of gain.
0 x

Chris72
Unrated

Post by Chris72 »

Celestion have a new G12h-30 with a 75hz cone that may be worth looking in to. Pricey though :S
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

They've always had a 75Hz G12H-30 version. However, I think you're referring to the newly-released Heritage version of the 75Hz. The Heritage range are actually Made in England, which is one of the reasons they're so expensive.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

Chris72
Unrated

Post by Chris72 »

Yeah, thanks Phil, should have mentioned it was the Heritage range not the anniversary.
0 x

str82hvn
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Great Speaker...

Post by str82hvn »

I have really come to love the WGS Veteran 30. I have a 2x12 cab with 16 Ohm units and a 1x12 cab with an 8 Ohm unit. My 18 Watt TMB loves them both and is VERY loud.

This speaker is much sweeter to my ear than the Celestion Vintage 30 that I have loaded in my 4x12 cab.

All the best,

Jeff
0 x

nyazzip
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by nyazzip »

....last winter i made two boxes and put an eminence delta pro 12-a in each one. at 400 watts each, RMS, they are huge overkill for guitar, but i chose them for their rolled off top end, as i play strats and am not a fan of the ice pick. also i got tired of worrying about my speakers holding up under various applications and experiments(i have an amp that uses four 6ca7, and some say it rates upwards of 120 watt RMS).
i am very satisfied with the sound! i only use one speaker at a time, and they are in partial closed back cabs of my design and construction. my only complaint is that they are heavy.
i think the price went up substantially since i bought them too.
speaker choice depends heavily on your guitar. higher output pickups are muddier and would probably not sound too good with these speakers.
they are 99.2 dB SPL...they can deliver about the tightest low end your amp can give them :twisted:
0 x