2x12 build plans (just cab, no combo)

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

carrejans

2x12 build plans (just cab, no combo)

Post by carrejans »

Hi,

been searching the forum and download section. Couldn't find what I'm looking for: a building plan for a 2x12 cabinet (no combo).
Can any of you guys point me to the correct direction?

Thank you very much.

J
0 x

CurtissRobin
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by CurtissRobin »

The easiest solution is to use a combo cab design but do not take the extra step of making the cutout for controls. I have a How-to book with drawings that I bought from JBL in the 70's. I don't know if they still offer that set but their designs were awfully well done and aimed at meticulous builders. I got something similar from Altec Lansing and another from Beech Rising, a long defunct cabinet materials supplier in Ohio.

Through a couple Google searches (e.g. "guitar speaker cabinet design") you can unearth lots of stuff of varying quality. here's one http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/pa_speaker_project.html that offers a lot of detail. I haven't pored over it but at a glance it looks promising. They have more stuff at http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/construction.html A couple more are http://www.kvglabs.com/PDF/guitarcabs.pdf and http://music-electronics-forum.com/t9746/
Keep searching!

KennyO
0 x

katopan
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by katopan »

I was going to suggest the plans from the Modulus Amplification site, which are very good, but they're combo ones too. Marshall 1960A 4x12 plans are here - http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=27742
You could use that as a basis and cut it down.
0 x

menix

Post by menix »

I use a pair of 2061CX style cabs that I purchased a few years ago. I'd be happy to measure them for you if you are interested in that style cabinet.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Here are plans of a commercially available cab from Award Session in the UK - http://www.award-session.com/pdfs/AS212A_Plans.pdf

If you're in North America, you might want to convert the dimension to inches.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

carrejans

Post by carrejans »

Thanks for all the replies.
I made a simple drawing myself, based on the Award Session cab.

I made it smaller. Outer dimensions are:
750x500x230 mm

I made it this size to match with my combo.

Is this too small? Will I have bad sound?
(I read on the forum that cab dimensions aren't really critical)

Thanks...

J

0 x

guitarmike2107
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by guitarmike2107 »

looks good, some cabs work better with different speakers so it might sound great with one set but boomy with another set.

I have a 2 x 12 closed back cab here that is deeper than standard and with the wrong speakers is too boomy ... live and learn
0 x

carrejans

Post by carrejans »

I've ordered two V30's.
I'm currently using a 4x12 Orange cab, with V30's, and I'm very happy with it. (except it's way too big and heavy to easily carry around)
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

I really hate to tell you that V30s are overwhelmingly considered by the majority of members of this forum to be the worst possible choice for use with a Marshall 18W type amp. They generally have a high/mid brightness, which together with the natural brightness of the EL84,s can make for a pretty harsh sounding amp. Two G12H-30s, or one G12H-30 and one V30, would be considered by most members to be a much better choice. And there are other good options as well. I really hope it's not too late to get your order changed.

With your Orange V30 cab, do you know if the V30s are either fairly old or else otherwise Made in England? Made in England V30s appear to be an exception to what I stated above, and have a mellower top end In the past they were all made in England, then production got moved to China, except for some OEM special orders, such as for Mesa, and perhaps also for Orange?
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

carrejans

Post by carrejans »

I'm not building this cab for my 18W amp, but for my Bassman head.
My 18W amp, is a combo with 1 Greenback.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

In that case, I very much regret to have to inform you that this whole thread is off-topic for this site. :(

Note the text on the home page:

18Watt.com was created and exists for the specific purpose of discussing the Marshall 18W amplifier, as well as amplifiers based on or derived from the original Marshall 18W. So we can talk about anything from the original Marshall amp, to all kinds of variations, using parts of the original design combined with other ideas. The field is almost limitless, provided there is at least some clearly recognizable part of the original 'DNA' there - such as the preamp, PI or power amp.

There's also a few other close members of the 18W's family, Watkins' Westminster and Dominator (which the 18W derived from), Marshall's 1930 10W Popular and the various Marshall 20W amps, including the 2061 that are covered here. For other kinds of amps, there are many great forums already out there on the net, which will usually be the best source of information. Please do not post questions for amps that are not 18W derived. Such posts will be deleted upon discovery. Also, it is requested that all questions related to any products from Weber VST (including kits, speakers, parts, etc) be directed to Weber's own forums.
0 x