Eminence GB128 + Cannabis Rex??

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Calamardo

Eminence GB128 + Cannabis Rex??

Post by Calamardo »

Hi everyone!. I have a DIY 2 x 12 cabinet equiped, by now, with a Eminence GB128 that sound very nice but a little on the bright side (not shrill at all) and i want to try something to warm up my sound. I´m thinking about a Cannabis Rex can do that and make my "Orange AD30" to sound less distorted too. I play mostly a tele sometimes an epi paula. So any opinion would be welcome. Thanks!
0 x

Calamardo

Post by Calamardo »

Anyone?
0 x

nyazzip
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by nyazzip »

if you like lifting heavy weights, try Eminence Deltas Pros....they have a nice rolled off sound.....i have posted about them elsewhere in this forum
0 x

rock_mumbles
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by rock_mumbles »

A friend has a C-Rex it's a huge sounding speaker with lots of lows and smooth highs ... I've never heard the GB128 ...
0 x

Calamardo

Post by Calamardo »

Ok, thanks for replies!. The delta pros are 400w hi-fi speakers?, i dont know if they are the best suited for guitar maybe too much watts for a 30w guitar amp. Actually the GB128 has good bass response and i think is lacking in the lower midrange
0 x

nyazzip
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by nyazzip »

"The Eminence Delta Pro-12A 12" cast frame speaker is recommended for professional audio in sealed, vented, and horn-loaded enclosures. Ideal for full-range, mid/hi, and monitor wedges. Extremely efficient through the midrange, but with a surprisingly strong bass kick as well."

and here are some user reviews, gives a good idea what they are like:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=290-510
0 x

Calamardo

Post by Calamardo »

Cool! thanks!
0 x

rock_mumbles
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by rock_mumbles »

I think it was the Delta Pro 12 that is supposed to be a lot like an EV-12L ???
0 x

Calamardo

Post by Calamardo »

Now after some research i'm thinking about the red coat governor or its cousin the patriot red white and blues, any thoughts?
0 x

nyazzip
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by nyazzip »

I think it was the Delta Pro 12 that is supposed to be a lot like an EV-12L ???
yep!
Now after some research i'm thinking about the red coat governor or its cousin the patriot red white and blues, any thoughts?
if you look at the "response characteristics graphs"(not sure what the correct term is, and i couldn't link them), you'll notice a large spike between 2-3khz, on both of these speakers.......and from your intital post, it seems like you want a flatter response. so, i'd say they would be more of the same as what you already have
0 x

katopan
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by katopan »

My thoughts too. I have a friend that bought the Governor and it's not ultra bright but I wouldn't call it subdued either. It's got a sparkly top end.
0 x

nyazzip
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by nyazzip »

i just came to a point where i was more interested in what my amps and guitars sounded like, without the speakers coloring things much further. if i want a huge upper midrange boost, well, i'll find it through other means; i don't want my speakers dictating that. thats what pickups, tone controls, amp circuits, and EQ pedals are for
0 x

Calamardo

Post by Calamardo »

Thanks for replies!. I'm a little confused, but actually the GB128 goes fine with a little work on amps eq so maybe a second GB128 can do the job pretty well tho...
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Re: Eminence GB128 + Cannabis Rex??

Post by zaphod_phil »

i just came to a point where i was more interested in what my amps and guitars sounded like, without the speakers coloring things much further. if i want a huge upper midrange boost, well, i'll find it through other means; i don't want my speakers dictating that. thats what pickups, tone controls, amp circuits, and EQ pedals are for
If you want a classic Marshall tone, then you have to use Celestion style speakers. All the tone controls and pedals in the world won't replicate that vibe. Otherwise, maybe you should look at Fane-like speakers, such as Eminence's Tonker Lite. They don't have the upper end spike of typical Celestion speakers. The Cannabis Rex may be a good option as well, but I have yet to try one - OK, well I've bought one, but not yet got round to wiring it in place.... :oops:
"The Eminence Delta Pro-12A 12" cast frame speaker is recommended for professional audio in sealed, vented, and horn-loaded enclosures. Ideal for full-range, mid/hi, and monitor wedges. "
That's definitely *not* a guitar speaker then.
I´m thinking about a Cannabis Rex can do that and make my "Orange AD30" to sound less distorted too.
Sorry, but we only deal with Marshall 18W style amps here.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

CurtissRobin
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by CurtissRobin »

...thats what pickups, tone controls, amp circuits, and EQ pedals are for
Only partly true. In the high fidelity audio world the truly neutral speaker is the Holy Grail but those guys are <b>reproducing</b> sound. We, on the other hand, are <b>creating</b> sound, a very different enterprise. The sound of a guitar amp is defined to a great extent by the speaker selected. Neutral speakers yield neutral sound, no matter which or how many boxes, tubes, stages, et al. you pass your signal through on the way to the output jack.

This has come up before both here and elsewhere and as I've said before, I won't tell you not to seek out neutral speakers so you can evaluate the other characteristics you're interested in. We learn so much by experimenting. I forecast that you'll be disappointed with the result because it won't make clear for you the effects of the circuit changes.

KennyO
1 x