Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

18w 1x10 combo

Post by chaliapin »

Hi All

Just joined because I'm planning an ampmaker 18w build with the mod for lower wattage session. It's for my sister who's just started playing electric in a band, it's pretty low-fi and not a loud band so I'm not too worried about volume. Her boyfriend has a vintage twin reverb so she can always use that if she has transport and needs volume. It's going together on a budget, homemade combo cab, probably ex-pine furniture from the tip and I've bought an old g10l35 for a tenner off ebay. We wanted to go rajin cajun but just want to get running on the cheap. Borrowing her friend's large orange cab would also be an option. The important thing is portability and responsive musicality. She's currently playing my old yamaha 112. Am thinking a rangemaster or tubescreamer would work well this setup. Any thoughts on these plans? Mostly concerned about the nature/size of the speaker.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: 18w 1x10 combo

Post by JMPGuitars »

Volume won't be an issue with an 18 watt amp, they're good and loud. From what you've described, the weakest link might be the speaker, but...try it out and see if you like the way it sounds!
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Thanks, from doing some more reading it seems that a 10" speaker can be great, just gotta pick the right one. I just didn't want to make the cab and realise we should have built for 12". We can always buy a better speaker as funds allow.
0 x

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

OK!
rough cab is together but unfinished, to my 18wattvirgin ears it sound bloody great. Pick attack very strong, bit like it makes you blink every time you give a strong attack. Would that be anything to do with the speaker or just playing loud in a small room? Speaker a bit farty when cranked but is that to be expected? Am very pleased overall, need to get in there and fit the power variation mod that Barry at ampmaker sent me, makes it 2/9/18w switchable power.
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Awesome! I'm actually building myself a 1x10 right now also.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Nice, what speaker you choosing?
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Well, I have a Weber Texas Ceramic 10" that I got in a trade that sounded great with one of my EF86 builds, so I'm going to try that in there first (this isn't an EF86 build). If it doesn't sound amazing, I'm probably going to try an Eminence Red Fang.
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

G10L35 isn't going to be a great speaker, and it will lack in volume for gigging with, even if her band isn't super loud. In fact, if you're only using a single speaker, I would really recommend to go for a 1X12 to get a good full tone. With 10-inchers a 2 X 10 will sound better (have more balls).
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Thanks for the advice, I've built the box now, not tried it in any band situation yet. Want to stick with the 1x10 for the moment but may try a ragin cajun as they seem to be well liked.
0 x

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Just checked out the red fang, ouch, some way out of budget for the moment!
0 x

rock_mumbles
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by rock_mumbles »

chaliapin wrote:Thanks for the advice, I've built the box now, not tried it in any band situation yet. Want to stick with the 1x10 for the moment but may try a ragin cajun as they seem to be well liked.
A lot of people like the Ram Rod for a "British" voiced 10" speaker, it's also pretty efficient ...
0 x

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Thanks all, cranked up the amp up to 10 and had a little hendrix time on my strat today, lead lines sound amazing, the bass sounds good but is nowhere near deep and full, I guess that's a 1x10 with not a great speaker in then. How does a 2x10 compare with a 1x12 in terms of sound and weight? Would mt g10 be ok in a pairing? This build is gonna stay 1x10 for the moment but I really want to build one for myself now!
0 x

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Post by Daviedawg »

I bought two 20 year old Celestion G10 Vintage 60watts a couple of years ago. They still needed breaking in! I have them fitted in a home built cab with both open and closed back options but is usually "vented" as opposed to open. They have great response across the range with a strong bass. Output is loud. There is a current version of that model but it may be slightly different. They are also very pricey I think.

This is my preference over 1x12 with the 18watt. But I stress preference.

Dd
0 x

kleuck
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kleuck »

rock_mumbles wrote:
chaliapin wrote:Thanks for the advice, I've built the box now, not tried it in any band situation yet. Want to stick with the 1x10 for the moment but may try a ragin cajun as they seem to be well liked.
A lot of people like the Ram Rod for a "British" voiced 10" speaker, it's also pretty efficient ...
And has balls :)
0 x

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Sounds good, you mean the ramrod over the ragin cajun?
0 x

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Just found a good deal on a used 2x10 cab with greenbacks so I think that'll be a good start. I may put one of the greenbacks in the 1x10 combo and put the g10 in the cab with the greenback and keep that myself for a head and cab build. Sound like the best plan?
0 x

kleuck
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kleuck »

chaliapin wrote:Sounds good, you mean the ramrod over the ragin cajun?
Nope, i did not try a RC.
0 x