Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

1973 g12h recone?

Post by chaliapin »

Hi all,

I just aquired one of these odd speakers. The wires running to the voice coil are knackered and apparently even with the funky 'whizzer' cone removed still won't sound that great as the cone is not ribbed. Anyone any experience of these? I want to build a 36W but I really want to do a 210, I don't like too much weight in the sound filling out the texture where the vocal tends to lie and am definitely not a rock played or fan (sorry) closest I get is Peter Green and bluesy Hendrix. Is this worth reconing for arounf 2/3 of the price of a new one? I could make my 210 combo and have a 112 extension cab maybe? Any thoughts/experience?
cheers all
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

CurtissRobin
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Re: 1973 g12h recone?

Post by CurtissRobin »

If that's a genuine low power G12H then go for the recone. After a break-in period it should sound quite good. If it's a high power G12H (50 or higher) I believe I'd go for something else. My own taste for blues-y stuff tends toward low power (18 watt or 5E3) with an alnico speaker, though I'm happy with ceramic as well. Taste and trumps technology in my book.

KennyO
0 x

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

That's what I'm kind of thinking, what makes it high or low power? Is it not the bits that are replaced?
0 x

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

seems like they only made the g12h30 untill '78 so probably all go on that front.
0 x