Head cab for a weber 6m18 chassis

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

scottjonz
Unrated

Head cab for a weber 6m18 chassis

Post by scottjonz »

Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone knew of any makers who do good head cabinets on the cheap for a weber 6m18 sized chassis . The cheapest I have seen online is a ceriatone head cab for $165. Seems like there are a bunch of others making them as well. Any advice would help. Thanks.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Head cab for a weber 6m18 chassis

Post by JMPGuitars »

You said any advice, so here ya go: "You get what you pay for."
And another one of my favorites: "Buy cheap, buy twice."

If price is your only concern, you'll be disappointed. Build quality on the cabinet is extremely important.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

scottjonz
Unrated

Post by scottjonz »

The point of my post was to find other makers besides ceriatone but at the same or similar price point. Ceriatone cabs seem to get good reviews, just looking for some others below the $200 range.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Weber's 6M18 head cabinet is $230. $60 less if you get it raw and tolex it yourself.

I only caution about the price tag because I've purchased a cab in the past where the cabinet maker's ego far outweighed his skill...and I didn't save enough $$$ for the headaches it caused.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

CurtissRobin
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by CurtissRobin »

I'm very happy with my Swanson cab and with my Stage Craft Gear cab but both are above your threshold. Mojotone has a suitable head cab for just over $200. OTOH if you're willing to do your own covering you might look up Ebay seller sorrycharly. He sells a range of uncovered cabinets well within your limit. There used to be another guy on Ebay from the midwest who did awfully good work but he's gone on to other pursuits.

Here's an old page from TGP that's on topic for you http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=77915" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It's from long ago and I have no idea how many are still around or whether they're good or evil but it'll give you a direction to search.

KennyO
0 x

scottjonz
Unrated

Post by scottjonz »

Thanks for your input. I came across Sourmash cabs today and they seem to get good reviews and are in the $160 price range. Opinions on his crafstmanship?
0 x

scottva59

Post by scottva59 »

I've used Sourmash before and my experience was excellent. I'd recommend them.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3597/3466 ... 7169_b.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3639/3466 ... 638c_b.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3535/3466 ... 0e29_b.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
0 x

electricphil
Unrated

Post by electricphil »

Hi,

My 1st post from France ...

I recently discovered an amp builder in France who also provides cabs they seems amazing . Prices also seems very reasonables for a very good quality ...

I think it's a new one actor in the arena, as I didn't know just some weeks before . I ordered one headshell . So as soon as I receive it, I'll post again to tell what about quality ...

Phil
0 x

Promit
Unrated

Post by Promit »

scottjonz wrote:Thanks for your input. I came across Sourmash cabs today and they seem to get good reviews and are in the $160 price range. Opinions on his crafstmanship?
I haven't had a Sourmash yet -- I'm about to order one any day now for my own cab. Bob's been really friendly and helpful with a few customizations I wanted to make, and the vast majority of people who have ordered his stuff seem to be happy. Looking forward to mine.

Mojotone will do them for not a lot over $200, but I've heard decidedly mixed reviews of their work. They just moved all of their production over to Lopoline though, who did *excellent* work when they were a separate company. So it's a tough call with them right now.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Promit wrote:
scottjonz wrote:Thanks for your input. I came across Sourmash cabs today and they seem to get good reviews and are in the $160 price range. Opinions on his crafstmanship?
I haven't had a Sourmash yet -- I'm about to order one any day now for my own cab. Bob's been really friendly and helpful with a few customizations I wanted to make, and the vast majority of people who have ordered his stuff seem to be happy. Looking forward to mine.

Mojotone will do them for not a lot over $200, but I've heard decidedly mixed reviews of their work. They just moved all of their production over to Lopoline though, who did *excellent* work when they were a separate company. So it's a tough call with them right now.
I've seen pictures of Sourmash and they look decent, but I haven't seen one in person. I did recently get a Mojotone combo cabinet, and the quality is excellent. Much nicer than the recent cab I got from a "boutique" cabinet maker. I'm going to be ordering a couple more cabs from Mojotone, I expect the quality to be the same, but if it's not I'll let ya know. ;)
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

gretsch61

Post by gretsch61 »

...for people in Europe!

I do Headshells in custom-sizes, for a fair price! Even if you would like them personalized!
I use 16mm quality plywood for my headshells.

Check my Gallery (Wanner-Amps) for details!

Cheers,
Steve
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

gretsch61 wrote:...for people in Europe!

I do Headshells in custom-sizes, for a fair price! Even if you would like them personalized!
I use 16mm quality plywood for my headshells.

Check my Gallery (Wanner-Amps) for details!

Cheers,
Steve
Nice work, wish shipping wouldn't be so insane to the US, I'd have you build me a couple custom head cabs.
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale