Mojo tone blues breaker cabinet.

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

Animal

Mojo tone blues breaker cabinet.

Post by Animal »

Thinking of ordering a 2x12 partially open back from mojo tone. Their reissue of the 60s Marshall blues breaker. Doesn't anyone have any experience or comment on this cabinet. Will be matched with a trinity 18 watt plexi version amp. As for the speakers, I'm either going reissue traditional greenback from celestian or tonetubby, just not sure which tone tubbys. Running this amp with a VVR,VRM, controlling the entire amp for significant domestic,basement, volumes. Any thoughts or comments or suggestions would be appreciated. I have no experience with mojo tone cabinets at all.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Mojo tone blues breaker cabinet.

Post by JMPGuitars »

I'm happy with the 1x12 combo cab I ordered from Mojo. Looks and sounds great. I'm going to be ordering a few more cabs from them, and I expect the quality should be the same. If it's not, I'll let you know. :)

Personally, I'm a big fan of Tone Tubby. I'm going to be ordering a couple speakers to try out with some of my 18 watt amps. I'm ordering Alnico from the Low Watt series to try it out, and I'm also ordering a couple other higher end speakers to try as well. I've heard nothing but good things about the Alnico Red, which I'm also looking forward to trying.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Animal

Post by Animal »

I wanted to look into the lower wattage products from Tone Tubby as well. So far I understand there is the San Rafael and a new Chicago Blue, coming soon to their site. As a posed to the Red or 40/40, what is the trade off between a speaker with low wattage/db vs a greater wattage and higher db. I presume the low wattage would break up earlier and be of a lower volume overall as the Red and 40/40 would be the total opposite.

I can't say I have enough money to purchase all these speakers and try them out so I keep my fingers crossed that you, and others, enjoy educating me with my precise redundant type questions. Thanks in advance for all your information as it is very educational and helpful.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Animal wrote:I wanted to look into the lower wattage products from Tone Tubby as well. So far I understand there is the San Rafael and a new Chicago Blue, coming soon to their site. As a posed to the Red or 40/40, what is the trade off between a speaker with low wattage/db vs a greater wattage and higher db. I presume the low wattage would break up earlier and be of a lower volume overall as the Red and 40/40 would be the total opposite.
That's funny, I didn't mention the Chicago Blue because it's not out yet, but that is one of the speakers I'll be trying. The 40/40 is a great speaker, but a little bright for a 1x12 with the 18 Watt circuit. I have one I used with another amp, and it's excellent. I might do the H-Bomb thing and put the 40/40 in a 2x12 with an Alnico Red. I haven't decided yet, since I kind of want to do that with a 2x10.

I'll definitely let you know what I think after I get the speakers. I'm probably going to record some demos with the different speakers in a couple different 18 Watt variants when I have the speakers and some free time.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Animal

Post by Animal »

Any progress on those demos, or perhaps you've landed the Chicago blue and or matched San Rafael
0 x

nekeel
Unrated

Post by nekeel »

I had one of their BB 2x12 combos (bought via TAD in Germany). It is a very big cabinet so beware.
Longer than a 4x12 and made of very sturdy materials.
It was deep enough to use KT66s (I put a JTM45 head in it).
Probably great for a studio but pretty heavy and unwieldy for gigging. I put the same wheels on it that I had on my much smaller/lighter 18w 2x12 and they collapsed with the BB!! It needed the fullsized 4x12 type of castors.
I use my 18w trem combo all the time (660 wide) and it is perfect for small gigs and rehearsals.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Haven't ordered the speakers yet, I have a baby on the way, so I'm being very careful about how quickly I'm ordering everything I need. :)

I will post demos once I get them. I have an Eminence Red Fang in the amp now that sounds great, I'll probably put up a demo of that when I have a chance. I'm guessing the TT will be better, but we'll see.
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Animal

Post by Animal »

WOW... congrats, just had my first baby (girl) December 20th, 2013 :) ummm you can say goodbye to just about everything lol. well, temporarily that is.

Is the red fang super loud or what. Still trying to figure the perfect science, a speaker and amp that have the right ratings or power to compliment each other. Each scenario has proven to benefit ones tone and hamper that of another. So confusing. Im relying on this VRM or VVR to dial in most of the tone I want. Or, should I say, dial things OUT.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Thanks! I'm having a girl too. :)

I don't know the efficiency, but it sounds great. You can get the specs on the Eminence site, they're pretty good about info on their speakers. It's 50 Watts though, so it's a little higher wattage than I want. I don't think the wattage should matter to you too much anyway, you're not going to be pushing the speaker enough to get the overdrive based on the speaker wattage. The truth is, I won't either, but during recording sessions, it might happen with a lower watt speaker.
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Animal

Post by Animal »

Questions for ya. I no longer care about a bigger tone (12 vs. 12x12) and wish to consider if a single 12 or two 12s would force the amp to perform better.

On another note, I have a 4x12 hooked up to a 100 watt that is set to (1) on the volume. Yes this amp is NOT the right wattage for a bedroom setting, but I get a scratchy sound from the speakers. Wondering if its because of the insufficient load or what. Any thoughts?
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

I like 1x12. It's lighter, quieter, and simpler in regards to setup and choosing speakers. Sometimes a 2x12 is cool if 1 speaker doesn't get the tone you want, and you need to balance it with a 2nd speaker. I'm happy so far with the Red Fang as a 1x12, but I'm definitely going to be ordering the Tone Tubby Chicago Blue soon. The baby is due in a few weeks, time freakin' flies.

Volume at 1 on the 4x12 shouldn't cause scratchy noise. Beyond that, this site is for 18 Watt amp discussion only. You could try posting info on ppwatt.com to see if they can help there.
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Animal

Post by Animal »

Thanks for the info. Yea time flies for sure. My little girl is now 8 weeks already, wow where did the time go.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Ha, getting any sleep yet? ;)
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Animal

Post by Animal »

Actually, we are finally in some what of a routine with the little stinker. Kind if you to ask :). The wife doesn't understand guitar amps, let alone "18 watt" forums. Nice to see good people on here working together to educate and share personal likenesses amongst one another. Thanks for al your help thus far and kind words.

Philly Dan.
0 x