Recommendations for a single ten inch speaker for 18 watt

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

kinmike
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Recommendations for a single ten inch speaker for 18 watt

Post by kinmike »

This amp is a trem lite amp 18 watter and is housed in a small cabinet that won't accomodate a 12 inch speaker. So I'm looking for speaker recommendations for ten inch speakers that would compliment this amp.

I suppose a Celestion G10 is a good candidate.

Thanks,

Mike
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Recommendations for a single ten inch speaker for 18 wat

Post by JMPGuitars »

That might be good. You could also consider the Eminence Lil Buddy, or the Tone Tubby Humbolt Alnico.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

fiat_cc

Re: Recommendations for a single ten inch speaker for 18 watt

Post by fiat_cc »

What about an Eminence RF10C?
I have one in a 5 watt Bassman Micro I built. Great sounding speaker, plenty power handling for an 18 watter, and quite efficient too.
0 x

CurtissRobin
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by CurtissRobin »

+1 on the Tone Tubby. A good match for 18 watt.
0 x

kinmike
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kinmike »

The Humboldt is only rated for 25 watts. Maybe the alnico red instead?
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

kinmike wrote:The Humboldt is only rated for 25 watts. Maybe the alnico red instead?
The amp is 18 watts, so 25 watts is plenty. If the speaker is rated too high, you eliminate the speaker from your overdrive flavor. Tubes + speaker + circuit all affect the overdrive. If the speaker is rated too high, then the amplifier can't drive it hard enough to contribute to the overdrive tone, and you're left with tubes + circuit only.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

AJLucas
Unrated

Post by AJLucas »

In my Watkins Scout (2x EL84s) I fitted a 10" Celestion Gold and it sounds magnificent. Not cheap but definitely worth it.
0 x

gretsch61

Post by gretsch61 »

I would look into Warehaouse Guitar Speakers!
They have a great selection of Speakers and are very versatile. You may choose between "british voicing" or "american voicing.

I have chosen many Speakers already for various Amps and Cabinets and have always had the best results.

https://wgsusa.com
0 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

For my current Fullerwell build I was debating between the Celestion G10M greenback ($99) and the Celestion Ten 30 ($35), they both fit well inside the Fender tweed briefcase I'm using for a cabinet. Decided on the latter, will follow up with a sound clip once I finish the build.
38B933EE-D303-43A0-9B17-658FA9A10CCF.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by geoff 1965 »

innovation! just put my mind at rest and tell me you are going to remove that fake fur on the inside where hot tubes & components are!
1 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

geoff 1965 wrote:
Sun 05/05/19 9:10 am
innovation! just put my mind at rest and tell me you are going to remove that fake fur on the inside where hot tubes & components are!
I'm going to give it a try with the fur, what the hell... my current thoughts for minimizing heat are:

1) position tubes in center and possibly add some strips of aluminum shielding tape to reflect their heat

2) use an Antek toroid for the PT which I understand run quite a bit cooler than EI wound transformers

3) use 1N5408s instead of an EZ81

4) possibly add some Marshall style diamond-pressed vents and maybe even a small dc computer fan

But I'm loathe to remove the fur, it has that genuine Fullerton mojo we all crave.

Plus I do have several excellent fire extinguishers handy for "risk management".
Last edited by crgfrench on Thu 05/30/19 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

zuceno

Post by zuceno »

I should remind you that you will get more B+ by doing that - perhaps too much for the tubes. Be careful, or you might need those extinguishers!
2 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

zuceno wrote:
Thu 05/30/19 8:01 am
I should remind you that you will get more B+ by doing that - perhaps too much for the tubes. Be careful, or you might need those extinguishers!
That's accurate, thank you! that's why I decided to use the Antek AS-1T275 PT which is 275-0-275.
0 x

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by geoff 1965 »

Craig,
i've got 275 HT and RL207 2amp diodes and when i initially built the lite2b this gave me a B+ of just over 360VDC and around 350V on the el84 plates.the headroom & tone was superb,however i then fitted a 100ohm sag resistor which not only simulates tube sag it boosts the "touch sensitivity" as well and drops the B+ around 10 volt's.you might want to consider this.
bye the way,i've just noticed my amp is on your list of "18W" questionables! "go and stand in a corner for 30 minutes laddie"!!
1 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

geoff 1965 wrote:
Thu 05/30/19 10:29 am
bye the way,i've just noticed my amp is on your list of "18W" questionables!
Which one is yours?
0 x

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by geoff 1965 »

it's the lite2 parallel/drive "18 watt"! which i'm still working on taming/tuning that cascaded beast i've unleashed! i could have built 5 amps in the time i've spent on that mod! my PT has 275V and 190V taps so i can switch to half power "9 watts" for some early breakup but don't tell Dd!
1 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

By the way, I personally don't feel any of the builds on that list are questionable. To me they are all valid 18W variants.

I guess if an amp has a similar topology and puts out in the neighborhood of 15-20W that would be enough for my admittedly low threshold of inclusion. Maybe unless it was all transistor or something foul like that...
1 x

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by geoff 1965 »

yeah i know,just having some fun! i understand what Dd means though,you have to keep within certain parameters or the forum will turn into another PPWatt.com. i like your innovative thinking and input,and that's the beauty of this forum,you get people of all skill & knowledge levels and it's a great place to learn and exchange idea's.
personally i have no background in electronics and no interest to be honest "but" i'm obsessed with valve guitar amps!
1 x

kinmike
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kinmike »

By the way, I'm the OP and I went with a Celestion Greenback Ten. Sounds good but due to all the amps I have, I don't think it's broken in yet. Will it change much?

Thanks, Mike
1 x

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Post by Daviedawg »

I fitted a 16 ohm version of that in a clone of a JTM1 combo I built for a friend. It really suits that amp which is much gainier (is that a word?) and grittier than the 18 watt. It took only a short time to mature and sounds great. It sounded more open as you would expect after a wee while of hard playing. Like my 10" Vintage 30s your speaker will need pushing to get there.

Dd
1 x