Cab for Trinity Plexi II

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

Mt3418
Unrated

Cab for Trinity Plexi II

Post by Mt3418 »

Hello all.

First time poster here. Apparently i'm no good at searching forums, so if this is something that has been answered in another post feel free to just link me there and call me a moron. :P

I have just ordered my first amp kit. As stated in the post title, I have decided on the Plexi II from Trinity. I am trying to decide what type of cab to build, but unfortunately I don't know enough about cab sizes to know what would sound best.

The only cab I have owned is a Crate 4x12 that I got on consignment at a local shop for 50$. I assume the previous owner was some kind of psychopath as they had replaced one speaker with a G12-80 and two speakers with some unlabeled crap speakers with tiny magnets. The forth is the original Crate 80 watt. I guess they gave up on it after the 2 crap speaker fried. I disconnected the dead speakers and run the 2 80 watts like its an over sized 2x12. I am running it with a Splawn Quickrod. For those not familiar with this amp it is a 100 watt Marshall clone with 3 dirty channels (Plexi-ish, JCM 800, and JCM 800 on Steroids) and has a built in attenuator.

If possible I would like something that will pair well with both the 18 watt and my Splawn.

I am wanting to build a 2x12 in the style of a Bluesbreaker cab and load it with Greenbacks. I run the Splawn at about half volume to push the tubes and then attenuate it down to an acceptable volume so i'm assuming the speakers could handle it.

The plans I have now are for a cab 24" tall, 30" wide, and 12" deep made of 3/4" baltic birch with 1/4" box joints for the shell and 1/2" baltic birch for the speaker and rear baffles.

If the speakers are no good for the larger amp and this ended up only being used with the 18 watt would the smaller cab from the Concerning Cabs post be a better fit? The weight of the larger cab wouldn't be a problem for me, so I really just want to know how they would compare tonally.

Thanks,
0 x

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Re: Cab for Trinity Plexi II

Post by Daviedawg »

Welcome to 18 watt. I doubt if the specific question you ask is in the archives to find. I assume you are intending to build to a speaker cab from the detail in your post. You have referred to the downloads section so know that there are plans for a combo cab there. I am far from being an expert on cabs but my assumption would be that the cab size shown there was designed to be a suitable cab for 2x12. What amp is feeding that 2x12 pairing is almost irrelevant. The considered selection of speaker to suit your Plexi and how you will use it has much more effect on the tone you end up with.

I am sure that there are sites on the internet with advice specifically on speaker cab design. So if you want to check the suitability you can do so I am sure. But then you are into questions of open back, closed back, porting etc if optimum is what you seek. If it was me I would use the structural build dimensions on the replica cabs in the downloads while spending time finding out what speakers will best suit the amp.

I think that there is a speaker shoot out and plenty discussion of the topic here.

Dd
2 x

Mt3418
Unrated

Post by Mt3418 »

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I am going to attempt to build the cab myself with the assistance of my uncle. I am pretty much just copying the dimensions of the Marshall 1936 but with the Bluesbreaker style speaker baffle. I would assume (granted I build it properly) it would sound similar. I will be building it with a multi sectioned back so that I can try out the differences with opened, closed, and ported.

I would prefer the larger cab, for appearance sake, if I end up using it for the larger head as well, but if anyone thinks that the way I run the 100 watt would cause problems with the lower watt speakers I would like opinions on whether the smaller cab in the downloads section would pair better with the 18 watt over the larger cab.

I am thinking about using greenbacks because personally i dig the way greenback style speakers sound when used with a Plexi flavored amp. At the moment I am leaning towards the Mojotone Watch Towers. From what I have read they are essentially G12Cs but with a different label, and at only 100$ each i figured I would try them out. If anyone has any others I should check out I'm all ears.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Changing cabinet dimensions will affect the tonal response of the cabinet. How much so depends on a number of factors, including which type of cabinet you build...and how much you can perceive the difference will also depend on your ears and the speaker's tone curve.

A larger closed-back cabinet will likely have a boomier bass response than a smaller cab, but since you're making the back choice optional, you can affect that by adding or removing the rear panels.

Take a look at Eminence speakers also. I find them to be a great bang-for-buck speaker. Like all things tone related though, it's all very subjective. Tone Tubby is also a great choice, but they're not as cheap unless you find them used.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale