Eminence British ReignMaker, 75 watt with magnetic attenuator included!

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

ZeroPointEnergy

Eminence British ReignMaker, 75 watt with magnetic attenuator included!

Post by ZeroPointEnergy »

I recently found out about speaker attenuators! They just move the large main speaker, further away from the main speaker or voice coil, and that makes the speaker work less and less efficiently, making the speaker more and more quiet as the distance increases!

Very natural results as you are not altering the electronic signal, so this stands to be as natural sound volume attenuation, as it gets. The bummer is that I have to swap out my pair of 25 watt greenback clones, until I can build a 2x12 cab. Then I can finally use all three speakers.

The ReignMaker is 8 ohms, and the two greenbacks are each 16 ohms, so I guess I could run them all together as 4 ohms, but with a 75 to 50 wattage differential. I figure just don't use it too hard or I'll hurt the 50 watter's before the 75 watter.

I should be ok with the ohm's at 4 shouldn't I? I've used the 50watt JCM 800 amp for about a decade with just 2 greenback clones, so I will only improve their safety by also using the 8 ohm Reignmaker, in attenuation mode full on.

I plan on building a reactive power attenuator, using a speaker emulator from Aiken Amps, as designed by cool cats at the Marshall forum. So far I find it hard to believe how transparent the attenuator is. Yet it only uses resistors and a solid state speaker emulation circuit.

No tone compensation added, and it sounds good to near bedroom levels, but there are not many models made yet, and not many really good sound samples.

If this solid state speaker emulation circuit proves accurate, wow, talk about a great project. I have plans to include (1) TWO clean boost stages, and will let me use my (2) greenback clones again, so I really look forward to starting, and completing this reactive attenuator project.

It might perform admirably, or better than, Ted Weber's MASS units, but he had to add bass and treble tone compensation, so far, this attenuator seems so transparent, tone compensation is not needed.

I'm hoping to build my basic unit, without foot switchable clean boosts, for around $120 ish. I don't know how much it will cost to add electronic on/off relays for two attenuation stages. I'm gonna build the unit first, and then add foot switching clean boost later.
0 x