Budget Speaker

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Budget Speaker

Post by TriodeLuvr »

One of the reasons I build my own audio gear is that I'm a cheapskate. I also hate paying other people for engineering and chassis work I can do myself, and the concept of creating something new and different always fires me up. This brings me to a question about speakers. I'm currently building a 36-ish watt combo amp, somewhat in the Marshall tradition. The cabinet was given to me, and it contains a single Peavey 12" driver, probably made in China. I'm guessing these aren't great speakers, so my question is this. If I want to replace this, and if I was willing to spend up to $100 for a better driver, are there any good choices? It's a high-gain amplifier, so I would be looking for something compatible with the Marshall sound. I'll add that I really hate Chinese audio gear, so companies that have moved their production lines to SE Asia aren't eligible for my hard-earned audio dollars. Any suggestions for a moderately priced speaker made in UK, Europe or the U.S.?

Jack
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Budget Speaker

Post by JMPGuitars »

TriodeLuvr wrote:
Thu 01/07/21 11:40 am
I want to replace this, and if I was willing to spend up to $100 for a better driver, are there any good choices? It's a high-gain amplifier, so I would be looking for something compatible with the Marshall sound.
That's easy. Take a look at WGS (wgsusa.com). Most of their ceramic speakers will fall in that budget. Some good stuff from Eminence in that price too. (disclaimer: I'm a dealer for both brands, but I would have recommended them anyway)

Your other option is to buy used or "open box", which will obviously cost less.
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

Thanks! Soon as the amp is running, I'll pick a few models and ask for a more specific recommendation. I need the benefit of someone with more experience in this area.

Jack
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Thu 01/07/21 12:05 pm
TriodeLuvr wrote:
Thu 01/07/21 11:40 am
I want to replace this, and if I was willing to spend up to $100 for a better driver, are there any good choices? It's a high-gain amplifier, so I would be looking for something compatible with the Marshall sound.
That's easy. Take a look at WGS (wgsusa.com). Most of their ceramic speakers will fall in that budget. Some good stuff from Eminence in that price too. (disclaimer: I'm a dealer for both brands, but I would have recommended them anyway)

Your other option is to buy used or "open box", which will obviously cost less.
I'd choose a second hand old G12h30 for that money. In europe you can find those for 50$
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Post by Daviedawg »

All the speakers I own were acquired after being used. My main cab for the 18 watt has two V10/60s which cost £21 each were 15 years old when I got them and were not broken in. The seller said he had only used them lightly.
Also there is a 12" cab which gets used with the 18 watt sometimes. It has a G12/50 yellow frame which cost peanuts. It was played but is in great shape.
If you avoid the green backs and cream backs etc you can find great bargains at prices which mean you can try some for a decent stint without breaking the bank. Sell the ones you don't use.

Dd
2 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Edit: that chinese 70th anniv G12h30 ain't nothing like an original 70s G12h30. It's really bright in comparison.
The classic lead 80 is muuuuch nicer in that aspect and a good alternative. Not as creamy as the original G12h30, but not so far off actually. Beats the vintage 30 by miles!!!
Josh.. that blackhawk you're recommending..OMG!!! They cost huge money man!!! I haven't noticed it before, but we pay close to 300€ for those!!! I'm never paying that kinda money for a speaker...no way
I just bought an eminence reignmaker for 30€ 2nd hand.. it will be here in a few days. The clips I heard were pretty promising, so.. maybe it's a good compromise for home playing
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote:
Sun 04/18/21 12:57 pm
Josh.. that blackhawk you're recommending..OMG!!! They cost huge money man!!! I haven't noticed it before, but we pay close to 300€ for those!!! I'm never paying that kinda money for a speaker...no way
I just bought an eminence reignmaker for 30€ 2nd hand.. it will be here in a few days. The clips I heard were pretty promising, so.. maybe it's a good compromise for home playing
They're not cheap, they're $240 USD here. But they're what I like, so I buy 'em. You might find used ones eventually at a lower price.
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale