speaker / cab suggestions....what would you do?

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

bitsandvolts
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

speaker / cab suggestions....what would you do?

Post by bitsandvolts »

Hey folks,

I've asked part of this question before...but at this stage (since I'm a few weeks from building) I feel it necessary to ask the question again with some additional caveats.

I've currently got a 1X12 cab with a G12H30 (8 ohm) in it. I've been considering building another cabinet.

One option is to build another 1X12...with a different speaker....and run them side by side when I need more volume than the single 1X12 can provide. It'll give me another sonic choice...in addition to being able to incremently add some volume with the second speaker.

The second option is to build a 2X12 (closed or open back -- undecided on that)...Obviously, this will give me a lot more volume....plus I'll still have the option to run both cabs side by side (assuming impedance matching).

Now before you comment...here's what I'm interested in:

First, What would you do? The 1X12 or the 2X12.

Second...what speakers would you load into these cabs....obviously assuming that you already have a G12H30 in 8 ohms that you have to use.

Some ideas I've had:

* get an eminence red fang (8 ohm)....put those two in a 2X12....and load an eminence gov into the 1X12.

* build another 2X12 and load the thing with 40watt sammis ...leave the 1X12 as is.

* build another 1X12 and load an 8 ohm red fang into it....leaving me 2 1X12s...one with the G12H30 and the other with the red fang.

* as above, build another 1X12 and load an 8 ohm eminence gov into it...

Anyway....I'm sure I can think of some others....but I'm curious to hear some opinions.....

any ideas are welcome....what would you do?

Thanks,
Frank
0 x

SpentMusic
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by SpentMusic »

My vote and based on the number of 2 x 12 cabinets I build over 1 x 12 (both speaker cabinets and combo cabinets), I would build a 2 x 12 cabinet. Why carry two cabinets when you can carry one? Load the 2 x 12 with 2 - 8 ohm speakers and build an amp using the 4 ohm and 8 ohm taps (or all 3) and there you go.

As far as speakers, I'm a firm believer in the G12H30's in an open back cabinet or combo.

Hope that helps!
Jeff Swanson
SpentMusic
www.dst-engineering.com
www.swansoncabinets.com
978 578 0532
0 x