36W- wotzit made of?

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Ballz
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

36W- wotzit made of?

Post by Ballz »

Hi guys -

Just a quick Q: what is this 36W suggestion all about?
Are we talking a "by the book" 18W preamp & PI plus 4 x EL84:s?
If so, count me in :D ...just have to find suitable iron...ahh..those 2 Klemt Echolette amps (4xEL84) have been standing in the corner for a long time... :twisted:
*smell of old solder and hot perfboard getting stronger*
8)
/Richard (What, one more project? No problem..)
0 x

stevesuk
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by stevesuk »

Thats the plan so far. It should be unique. I am thinking of using a VTB Lite board I already have populated with a MV. But I feel I ought to make a standard 18 watt (without tremelo). decisions, decisions.
0 x

Ballz
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Ballz »

It´s very tempting to make a true "bast*rd" amp while we are at it - 4xEL84 power, and two non-switchable preamp channels - one AC30 Normal (non TB) and one 18W lite - each with its own volume and tone controls, and separate inputs into the PI => mixable channels :-)....or the EF86 channel of the Matchless DC30 (ex AC30) preamp....or a true AC30TB channel...

Ahh...no more problems spending my spare time for a month or so :lol:
/R
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Patience, Richard! :lol: First we build a Marshall 18+18, as close to being a regular 18W as possible, with the standard Normal and Trem channels, but with the doubled up output stage. Then we get into all the cariations, like TMBs, EF86 inputs, etc! :mrgreen:
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

And i'll be on the other path, of making the stock type amp,and trying not to make it like the vox,matchless amps. Those have been done..but Marshall never made an amp like this..but still want it to be more Marshall-like. Then I do have some other ideas,after i see how the stock amp turns out. And tranny testing.
Richie
0 x

Ballz
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Ballz »

Yes, I know it´s a step-by-step thing, Phil... :? but there´s always this little troll on my shoulder, telling me to jump in right away :lol:

I am debating with myself whether to kill a working Klemt Echolette M40 or M70 (have both) to get the transformers..maybe trading one of the Echolettes for used but good transformers...buying new iron is totally out of the question, money-wise.

Ah well, I´ll follow your progress for a while, collecting the parts and finding a weird-looking chassis/cabinet for the thing...

Gotta go...
0 x