I wanna hear a 36 watter!

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

nipsey_russel

I wanna hear a 36 watter!

Post by nipsey_russel »

Whenever somebody gets one of these built, I'm way curious to hear one (a 36 watter that is).

Cheers,
Timmeh
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

I'm sure someone will post some files when done.. Graydon is working on one..Steve and Myself,for are a few that are building one..
Then i'm sure there will be some OT trying to see what one likes best..
I've got parts coming..so it will be a couple weeks before i get all the part together. But We should have something by then.

Richie
0 x

stevesuk
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by stevesuk »

I have just cut up on an industrial guillotine 6 pieces of 1/8" aluminium 20" X 12". (chassis 20" X 6" X 2.5" with 1/2" lips) Next step find the punches for the fly press and punch out the fascia and valve base holes. Like most people the transformers will take some sorting. But once I have built the chassis and got the transformers I am aiming for a 1st March finish. (my first of many 36w I hope).

Steve UK
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Maybe when someone in Timmeh's locality builds one, we could ask him to test it out for us by playing some nice sound samples, we could then use on this site. Whaddaya think folks?
0 x

drgork

Post by drgork »

I think the 36 watter is a great idea. The most common question I get is, I love the tone, but can you give me more power/headroom, etc.? I plan to start looking into a more powerful amp. I have to say I've been leaning towards 34's this time around instead of 84's, but I may do both.

Tim, if I come up with something, you'll be the Beta tester.

For what it's worth, 2 18's at once is a tone to behold. As good as one sounds, 2 is amazing. I've tested 2 with an A/B box and the tone and presence was great. I'd love to get that same tone in a 36 watt box if possible. I'm sure this group can if anyone can.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Danny
0 x

jaysg
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by jaysg »

drgork wrote:The most common question I get is, I love the tone, but can you give me more power/headroom, etc.? I plan to start looking into a more powerful amp. I have to say I've been leaning towards 34's this time around instead of 84's, but I may do both.
Do you think your customers would accept a 36W with the simple tone controls, or that they'd expect VTMB controls?

fwiw, Ron Ott did some el34/18W preamp work. He's not real active here now. Wonder how his customers have liked it.
0 x

drgork

Post by drgork »

I think you'd need to put more controls in there. My thoughts have been to build a single channel with the normal controls. Maybe some presence.
I personally love the voicing of the 18 as it is, but I think more tonal control would be worth it.

D
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

With EL34s you could do a Richie TMB version. Another way it would sound very nice would be with a quartet of 6V6s. Yummmmm......
0 x

drgork

Post by drgork »

One of my customers in Atlanta is an incredible slide player and he uses a Divided by 13 amp that has a quartet of 6V6's. It's based on a 1950's Gibson circuit I think. It sounds great. It definitely different from the 50's Deluxe 5E3 sort of sound. He uses it for bigger gigs.

D
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

"""It's based on a 1950's Gibson circuit I think"""
The one Les Paul amp. i think GA40 something like that, i have a friend who has one. Great sounding little amp..but it only uses 2 6V6s..
its the one that is tweed color covering. As for sound files, the next ones i do will use a Les paul..

Richie
0 x

dazco

Post by dazco »

I have a question for y'all......something i never understood is if you use 2 identical amps both with one speaker, do you get more actual volume level than using one amp hooked up to the same 2 speakers? (with impedences correctly selected of course)

I ask because i am gonna build another amp, but if the answer to this question is no difference in volume or very little difference, then i may just wait till the 36 watt trannys are available instead of building another 18.
0 x