In memory of Mark

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Graydon

dartanion
Extremely Active Poster!
Extremely Active Poster!

Mark Durham Memorial 18watt Raffle

Post by dartanion »

Hey Folks,

I am organizing an 18watt build with parts donated from 18watt members. All the proceeds of this build will be donated to Mark Durham's family. We could easily generate a nice sum from the sale of raffle tickets for the chance to win this amp, or do a silent auction or something. Let me know what you all think or if you can donate to the effort.

So far, I am donating a Ceriatone transformer set and a stuffed board built by me.

Bevin's has donated a TMB chassis.

Trout a set of JJ's.

HeeBGB a set of Sammi's.

Chriswu101 clarostat or PEC pots.

etc...

You all can email directly for more info.

I will talk with local master builder Brown-note about helping out with this build.
0 x

brownnote
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Mark Durham Memorial 18watt Raffle

Post by brownnote »

dartanion wrote:...

I will talk with local master builder Brown-note about helping out with this build.
two bit hack, skid row bum, ...master builder...yeah, hmm that sounds expensive...count me in.

I have a TMB faceplate, teflon wire, indicator light, parts for EF86 channel and all mechanical hardware, screws etc. for this fund.

If somebody wanted to jump in with a 2x12 combo cab that would be huge.

would still need knobs, and whatever else hasn't been accounted for, plus maybe an amp cover, guitar cable, etc.

If every member bought $5 in raffle tickets that would probably amount to several thousand dollars.

I lost my step-dad in a vacation drowning in the Caribbean a few years back, and I can tell you all from experience, it's incredibly expensive to deal with all the details of this.

And just a reminder...this site would probably not exist if weren't for MarkD

Let's make something happen for the family.
Last edited by brownnote on Fri 07/28/06 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Remember kids...Always adjust for minimum smoke!

Trout
_

Post by Trout »

We could easily generate a nice sum from the sale of raffle tickets for the chance to win this amp, or do a silent auction or something.
Just a few thoughts,, Please do not shoot me!

Though more complicated, I like the Raffle ticket idea the best.
My principle reason is simply this. There are thousands of members and guests that visit here every week. If its is a ticket affair, I feel more guys will anti up for a $5.00 or $10.00 ticket Vs the few that can cough up big bucks on a silent bid. This gives everyone a more even chance on winning a very special item.

I fear logistics would also be a nightmare either way, But even more so if it is limited to just 18W members. Once word gets around, there will be a lot of guys lining up for a shot at an 18Wer.

Lets do the build, Get Photo documentation on it, Make a builder & contributor list and put it on a cute certificate that goes with them amp.

Set a total maximum number on tickets of say 2500@ $5.00ea tickets. & a Drawing date of XX/XX/06
Give it enough time to sell out if possible.
Then, Announce the Raffle, Spread the word everywhere !! Notify every guitarist online forum we can, And go for the gold!!

If we even sell 1/4th of that, The family will have one sizable sum.

Other Ideas are most certainly welcome!

Trout
0 x

NitroLiq
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by NitroLiq »

I don't have much in the way of parts but if you need any design/graphic work done, I'd be happy to contribute. Otherwise, I'll just send the normal donation and buy a raffle ticket. Integrating that old pic of his from 1976 (in the mugshot gallery) with some graphics might be a cool touch. If not for the amp, then possibly for a callout on the 18watt home page for the raffle announcement....that would meaning temporarily getting rid of the giant disclaimer or putting it somewhere else.
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

When the forum sent parts for Colins red amp. Some of them donated ,and did not want to be on a list,as sending parts. And some of those people sent some of the more expensive parts.
I think the raffle is a great idea,and would probably earn more money for Marks family.

Richie
0 x

brownnote
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by brownnote »

NitroLiq wrote:...Integrating that old pic of his from 1976 (in the mugshot gallery) with some graphics might be a cool touch.
That is such a tremendous idea...we should get a grill cloth from JoeV with that image on it...how cool to have Jimi on the cover of your amp, and I think everyone can relate to young Mark trailing behind him like that.

We have an opportunity to make one really super amp here.

I'd feel honored to build it, but if it weren't to much of a burden, I would nominate SteveS, Graydon, Richie, MarkH or one of the other guys that go way back with MarkD to build it.
0 x

dartanion
Extremely Active Poster!
Extremely Active Poster!

Post by dartanion »

This is great folks!!!

I'm glad to see everyone is supportive of this idea.

Whatever the community thinks is best. If someone closer to Mark wants to build this baby up, I'd support that 100%. I just offered up my services and Brownnote's (I didn't think he'd mind :wink: ).

Anything that anyone here would like to donate is great. Graphics would be great too.
Last edited by dartanion on Fri 07/28/06 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

brownnote
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by brownnote »

One other idea... people can donate other items & multiple items, like tubes & strings for example to comprise a care package that goes with the amp, or even a second prize if there is a large haul of donated items.

And the faster this happens the better, in terms of providing some aid to the family.
0 x

NitroLiq
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by NitroLiq »

brownnote wrote:
NitroLiq wrote:...Integrating that old pic of his from 1976 (in the mugshot gallery) with some graphics might be a cool touch.
That is such a tremendous idea...we should get a grill cloth from JoeV with that image on it...how cool to have Jimi on the cover of your amp, and I think everyone can relate to young Mark trailing behind him like that.
Actually, I was talking about this one:

http://www.18watt.com/modules.php?set_a ... _photo.php

This could look cool with some graphic treatment around it. The Hendrix one...don't know if it would translate as well.
Last edited by NitroLiq on Fri 07/28/06 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

dartanion
Extremely Active Poster!
Extremely Active Poster!

Post by dartanion »

Making a badge with an artsy version of this photo would be awesome! That's a great mugshot!
0 x

NitroLiq
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by NitroLiq »

The only thing is I'd need a hi-res scan of it if it's going to be printed. What do you mean by badge, though? Where would you want this to go?
0 x

Dana-L
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

I have some Daka-Ware knobs and a NOS 12AX7A to donate

Post by Dana-L »

I'll gladly donate several genuine NOS Daka-Ware chicken head knobs to the project.

Also, I suggest that we try to promote this raffle to whatever publications we have contacts with (e.g., The Tonequest Report, Vintage Guitar Magazine, Guitar Player, others?) to generate some publicity. It is certainly a newsworthy event. Would whomever has dealt with these folks for interviews, articles, etc. be so kind as to contact them once details are set?

Oh, I'll also donate one NOS RCA 12AX7A for the completed amp, if required.

Have one of the moderators contact me when the parts are needed.

-Dana
0 x

screm77

Post by screm77 »

you do the raffle I'm in
0 x

dartanion
Extremely Active Poster!
Extremely Active Poster!

Post by dartanion »

NitroLiq wrote:The only thing is I'd need a hi-res scan of it if it's going to be printed. What do you mean by badge, though? Where would you want this to go?
A badge that says something like Mark Durham Memorial 18watt with a stylized version of that mugshot (or something else??) mounted where you would normally put the Marshall badge/lettering.

Maybe something Dave Mann like:

That photo has that look about it!!
0 x

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner »

I Have some nice brass vent material.
0 x

jk
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by jk »

Following brown-note's care package idea, I'd like to contribute a guitar. It's an Epihone Les Paul, sunburst, I changed out all the electronics to US components and it has Jimmy Page style wiring / pots. Also, tonepros bridge and tailpiece, and Schaller tuners.

Regards,

Jim
0 x

dartanion
Extremely Active Poster!
Extremely Active Poster!

Post by dartanion »

Jim,

You are the man!!!

I think we can round up a nice tidy sum for the Durham family if this momentum keeps up!!!

Great!!!
0 x

Sweetwood
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Sweetwood »

I have a mullard ef86 for that channel...the real deal.
0 x

dartanion
Extremely Active Poster!
Extremely Active Poster!

Post by dartanion »

I was thinking it should have an EF86 channel, and what better than a Mullard!!

Thanks Sweetwood!!
0 x