Mark Durham Memorial 18watt Raffle

In memory of Mark

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Graydon

Trout
_

Post by Trout »

jcny wrote:I don't want to throw a blanket on this worthy cause, but I remember some issues regarding raffles and sending tickets through the mail from an organization I belonged to.

I believe the wording had to be made so that all proceeds were donations without promise of reward. This may be a NY state only issue but maybe should be checked out.

Can someone check on this so all goes smoothly?

I'm in when the tickets are available.
Here is a website that lists state by state raffle laws.

I have no idea how these affect us on this type of internet raffle, But I agree, someone more legal minded than I should check into it.

http://www.ticketprinting.com/Raffle_Ti ... tLaws.aspx

Trout
0 x

s2
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by s2 »

A couple of thoughts...

1. If we are building a Vajra, it will need custom face plates for its extra features. I will be happy to supply a set of laser engraved gold aluminum plates custom drawn to fit the final chassis.

2. I would be honored to build the amp. I would be even more honored if Kenny would have time to spend half a day in the home studio recording some killer clips of the finished product.

3. Do we have a cabinet yet? Swanson built the original Vajra head cab in green levant.

4. I do think we should do the Vajra. He was very proud of that amp, and I don't see any reason to build something other than one of his designs. It isn't one of the easier amps to build, but I would be happy to take it on.
Last edited by s2 on Sun 07/30/06 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
--s2
Custom Amplifiers
Amp Parts & Accessories
www.s2amps.com
www.category5amps.com

bitsandvolts
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by bitsandvolts »

This shouldn't be that complicated...there was a raffle here just before I joined...IIRC.

If someone is going to get all legal-nitty-witty-bitty in a scenario such as this, where we are honoring a great person that has recently passed...he/she needs to be soaked in a pool of salt water after receiving 1000 razor cuts... :evil:
0 x

s2
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by s2 »

chevalij wrote:Just an odd thought... how much gear did markd have? How many 18watters and various other goodies. Do you think his family needs another amp around the house? I've just gone through a recent family death, and trying to get rid of personal effects is a pain in the a$$.

Not trying be be rude or sound like a grave robber, and I don't know markd or his family, but is it possible we may be able to auction some of his items for cash?
I've thought about this myself. I was planning--after his family has plenty of time to recover--to offer to handle the sale of his collection (if that is their desire) to make sure they get what they should for each individual piece of gear. It would be easy to lose a lot of money on his stuff, and I would like to prevent that from happening. No charge, of course.
0 x
--s2
Custom Amplifiers
Amp Parts & Accessories
www.s2amps.com
www.category5amps.com

NitroLiq
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by NitroLiq »

X-R2 wrote:If we want to raise as much money for Marks family, we should build this for a broad appeal. While it is a touching tribute to have Marks mug on an amp, it might hurt ticket sales among those who didn't know him.
I've been thinking about this and agree somewhat. When I mentioned doing something with the image, I wasn't thinking of plastering a huge silkscreened picture of his head on a cab or badge instead of a nameplate. Something less intrusive. We can do regular faceplates and nameplate (Vajra) if we're leaning that way and just include an alternate MD badge the same size or include a subtle reference to MD on the rear plate or something. If not this, then what about including some kind of stylized "amp tag" pamphlet about Mark and has influence? Each winner would get one. Whatever you want...just let me know. It's a shame more of us aren't brilliant songwriters, we could include a CD.
Last edited by NitroLiq on Sun 07/30/06 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

billv
Poster Child

Post by billv »

The raffle will have FOUR different winners...There should be a seperate drawing for the first prize, the second prize, the 3rd, the 4th.....
I like that idea and it has to make managing the tickets easier.
0 x

kennnygtr
Unrated

Post by kennnygtr »

[/quote]
... we could include a CD.[/quote]

I can offer a signed EB & new bohemians CD. The Vajra
is credited and used all over it... Quite literally this band
would not exist if it were not for Mark & Sheri.
0 x

dartanion
Extremely Active Poster!
Extremely Active Poster!

Post by dartanion »

Hey Folks,

This is amazing! I am so happy that so many of us are willing to contribute. Don't forget that I offered a Ceriatone Transformer set, and a fully stuffed board built by me.

As well, for the JTM45, I can build a nice hardwood cab for it, or tolexed if desired.

With the bevy of parts being donated, I think it would be very easy to build both a trem and Vajra version for the raffle. S2 has offered to build the Vajra, and Graydon has offered chassis/transformers that could be used for the trem. I will volunteer to build the trem version (probably work with Brownnote to make this one special).

With 2 18watters, the Blue 100, JTM45, and Epi LP; that's 5 chances to win a great prize.

Anyway, I think we need to decide on who is doing what, and where parts and stuff should be shipped to. I can deal with JK's Epi LP since he's local. I can also collect all the parts that have been offered that don't make it into a build. Maybe there will be enough parts to have a couple of smaller prizes?
0 x

brownnote
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by brownnote »

I would love to build any of them, but honesty it would mean a lot more to me if Mark H and Steve S did the builds.

I agree that Graydon's trans set would be a nice match for the trem, and an S2 set would sure be nice on the Vajra.

This opens the door to possibly a 3rd amp which could possibly be seen like this:

Two Admins. SteveS & MarkH, people that were close to MarkD build:
1. Vajra...MarkD's own special amp.
2. Trem amp...the amp that got this all started.

Here's the idea for the 3rd amp.

I think if there is to be a third build it should be something that represents the spirit of the community that MarkD did so much to build, the collaboration between people, and the evolution of ideas....the TMB Superlite, ot LITEIIB come to mind, but something from all the regular folks that MarkD did so much to help.

MarkD used to send me emails encouraging me to do the brownnote kit, he would say things like: "I think your kit is a valuable asset to the Group. Keep up the good work". He even emailed me from Hawaii just a short time ago an another subject that was so trivial, but because I asked the question he answered... He helped me with another design I'm working on right now, and that's probably why I feel so emotional about this...He and I never met but I felt like I had a friend out there.

Anyway, point is...
As a typical 18watt member, I guess I feel like I represent the many people that had similar experiences with MarkD...he cared about this stuff, and he cared about people enough to take the time share in a real and genuine way.
And saldly that's becoming a damn rate quality in our "me first" society.

If anything, I just wanted to honor his memory by saying this.

That is all..over and out.
0 x
Remember kids...Always adjust for minimum smoke!

wiggle
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by wiggle »

Pics of the JTM 45

I built it then took it to Mark to look over and give some thoughts on changes.
He biased it for the Groove Tube KT66s and undid one of my add bass mods.
He suggested to contact Paul Ruby for more thoughts which I did, thanks Paul. He checked it again, I tweaked it. It sounds cool.
More fendery clean more JCM800 cranked. but always a JTM 45. If you think thats impossible......
Buy some tickets and find out.

Mark had his hands all over this amp. Hope this can help somewhat.
Dartanion if you could build a cab that would be fantastic.
It uses Paul Ruby's chassis (should be pretty standard)

Since Steve offered to help and may build an amp, Ill drop the JTM by his shop.
Unfortunately I have no time to offer this raffle at this time.

In a couple of weeks though I should be able to help w anything needed on the Richardson front, I live about 2-3 miles from the Durhams

Awesome donations guys this is what its about.
And everybody buy lots of tickets!!!!!!! Talk about a raffle in you cant lose.

0 x

dartanion
Extremely Active Poster!
Extremely Active Poster!

Post by dartanion »

Wiggle,

If you can send me dimensions via email, I can start on the cab.
0 x

raffle ticket or

Post by edad »

hello,
I got replys to posts from Mark d on quite a few issues,(solved),so I feel apart of this loss, even though I dont know the details.
I donated $10.00 towards a raffle ticket or shipping or what ever come up last night,thru paypal.
mark will be greatly missed by all.
We are doing a wonderful,selfless,thing here.May god bless Marks family!!
0 x
T>S>R>T>S

kd
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by kd »

I've got two pairs of KT66 tubes for the JTM45. One pair is soviet made the other is Shuguang chinese made tubes. If someone will let me know where to send them, I'll get 'em out.

Ken
0 x

dartanion
Extremely Active Poster!
Extremely Active Poster!

Post by dartanion »

S2,

I just sent you an email to start working out the logistics.

Maybe on of the Admins can pull together a mailing list of all who have offered up stuff for the raffle.
0 x

billv
Poster Child

Post by billv »

I can get started on this.

I can set up an 18watt.com email address to coordinate it. I'll have that done by the end of the evening. For now, send the info to my address linked to the email below.

I'll put together a central list, and we'll go from there.

If the builders would prefer, let me know your addresses, and I'll send those out appropriately.
0 x

dartanion
Extremely Active Poster!
Extremely Active Poster!

Post by dartanion »

bender,

Just shot you an email. I hope it didn't get filtered.

dartanion69 at yahoo dot com
0 x

billv
Poster Child

Post by billv »

Received and thanks. I'm fairly certain that my personal email account is not overly filtered :D

That said, the official email address will have an autoresponder, assuming that the hosting service will provide it. If not, I'll figure something else out.

(Edit: btw, I'll be offline for awhile but back later this afternoon)
0 x

mobisimo
Unrated

Post by mobisimo »

I just got a bunch of vintage CC resistors in assorted values that I would certainly be willing to donate to the cause. Let me know what values and quantities are needed and I'll ship them along to those in charge of the build.
0 x

dartanion
Extremely Active Poster!
Extremely Active Poster!

Post by dartanion »

mobisimo wrote:I just got a bunch of vintage CC resistors in assorted values that I would certainly be willing to donate to the cause. Let me know what values and quantities are needed and I'll ship them along to those in charge of the build.
Thanks a bunch.

We are working out the details now, so we will let you know about where to send stuff.
0 x

sgtoverdrive
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by sgtoverdrive »

someone tell sgt overdrive where to send the glass...!!! ive got the best on hold for this build.i insist no jjs are goin in .if it isnt british or german it shouldnt be used .i think mark would like that.the doors of valhalla open wide for mark ! how can the old sgt get in there if he dont supply the glass.the more i learn about this guy the more i believe we are at great loss here.sgt od
0 x