4x12 cab demensions

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

BluesMan

4x12 cab demensions

Post by BluesMan »

Is there a place online where I can get 4x12 cab demensions?

Thanks in advance :mrgreen:
0 x

Rich_S
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Rich_S »

Check out Marshall's web site for a rough idea. Keep in mind that the dimensions given there are overall. I saw a post recently by some one who thought they even included the plastic corners.

These will get you close, then shoot for approximately the same internal volume. You'll have to make some assumptions concerning thickness of wood, set-back of the speaker baffle, angle of the slant front, etc. I think Marshall uses plywood that's about 5/8" thick, so if you use 3/4" ply, your external dimensions should be 1/4" bigger overall. However, I doubt that little bit of volume would make much difference in the grand scheme of things. Things like panel stiffness and bracing do make a difference, so if you have a particular cabinet in mind, try to find out the details about its materials and internal structure before you finalize your design.

Remember, tribal knowledge says that straight-front cabs have more low-end thump. The slant front was invented for looks. But, (always the contrarian), I think Pete Townsend's all-straight Hiwatt stacks look cooler than Jimi's half-slant Marshalls. 8)
0 x
La, la, laaaa... la-la, la, la!

Rich Stevens

See the 2-Tone Blue Mutant 13 Watter!

BluesMan

Post by BluesMan »

I thought the straight front cabs sounded better because the baffle was one peice whereas the slant cab's have a two peice baffle.
0 x

79strat

Post by 79strat »

I have dimensions pulled off of my 4x12 slant cab - I'm attaching a PDF. I've got some pictures of in-progress cabs as well as an early Marshall cab that I can forward to help make sense of the "plans."

By the way - the reason the 4x12 is the size that it is, is that you can cut the pieces from a 5x5' European-sized piece of plywood with almost no waste. The acoustics were, I believe, a happy "accident."
0 x

jaysg
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by jaysg »

79strat wrote:By the way - the reason the 4x12 is the size that it is, is that you can cut the pieces from a 5x5' European-sized piece of plywood with almost no waste. The acoustics were, I believe, a happy "accident."
I believe that more than Jim Marshall's explanation. The Mesa Boogie 4-12" is measurably smaller.
0 x