Ceriatone 36 watt or Ceriatone Jcm 800

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

populartsl
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Ceriatone 36 watt or Ceriatone Jcm 800

Post by populartsl »

Has any anyone here built Niks Jcm 800 yet. Dont know which to go for. If anyone got any sound samples would be a great help in making my decision.

Cheers Ben
0 x

Deadwood
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Deadwood »

I just finished one. It's a killer. Way better than the 36 RP in my opinion. Way louder as well. I play strats and the 800's pre knob is usefull from 9 to flat stick. It's not a high gain amp thank f***, just a good single channel master volume amp. Highly recommended.
0 x

Chubsman
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Chubsman »

I have both and love both.

36RP is more Plexi 50 , less gain than a JCM800

JCM800 is more gain than 36rp ... just a little louder... but both are much more than any venu can handle... except a stadium stage.

What type of music do you play?
0 x

Deadwood
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Deadwood »

Chub, can't agree on your "much more than any venue can handle" comment. For me, I have to have the 36er flat out just to hear it over the drums. The 800 is set pre 2/4 oclock master 10/3 oclock. The amp's kickin but not too loud. I wouldn't play a venue that was so anal about volume. I'm an old coot now but I won't be turnin down just so folks can talk. What did Phil Emanual say, I never play an instrument you can talk over. :lol:
0 x

Chubsman
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Chubsman »

Well, I have to disagree with your comment.

I play big bars (400-500 people) like O'connors pub in Katana, ON Canada Or Barrymores music Hall in Ottawa, and the drums are miked, the bass player has a David Eden 400W amp and I am at the other side of the stage and the JCM800 in a 2x12 V30's 102db efficiency cabinet....if I dime this thing it will crack the porcelin veneers off the teeth of the girls dancing in the front row.

The 36 is slightly lighter in the volume department... but not alot... Jesus I have a 5W Hi Octane that is loud enouh to gig with... Must be the speakers I guess.... I am sure others will agree that a 50W is freaking loud!! And too much for a regular venue situation.

Are you playing your amp through 6" car speakers?
0 x

Deadwood
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Deadwood »

Rightio, thanks. 6" car speakers? 8O Yes that's right as well. V-30's might have something to do with it as you say.
Also, are you playing humbuckers, that will obviously make the amps louder than singles which is what I play. Try a couple of 6" car speakers and a strat and see what you reckon then.
Anyway I fear we may have hijacked the thread. I would say that the 50 watt Ceriatone JCM 800 is a killer amp so let's just agree on that.
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

Either would be cool, just depends, the 800 would be a bit louder more gain,as was posted.
You could also change a few things on the 36 layout and make a 2203 type preamp,and do away with the 18 channel. very easy. So you could have a 36 watt JCM type amp. instead of the feedback switch, install a pot,and use it for the presence control.

Richie
0 x

populartsl
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by populartsl »

I play modern indie rock in my covers band but love to rock out on the usual zep, hendrix upto modern day stuff.

Thanks for your opinions i was leaning towards Niks JCM 800 before i started the thread and i think i go for that but when i get some more coin i'd like to build the 36 watter.

Any one got any simple mods i can try out on the jcm800. I want to order a few extra components so i can have a bit of play.

Thanks again

Ben
0 x

joepopp
Unrated

Post by joepopp »

Ben:

I just finished a Ceriatone JCM 800 and it is the best amp I have ever owned (Numerous mesa boogies and marshalls!). I've been playing indie rock since before it was called indy rock (Husker Du , Replacements, minutemen, fIREHOSE, Pixies, etc.) and this amp is the missing sound I have been looking for(crap! I'm 41!). It has a nice crunchy tone but not nu-metal sounding! I personally don't like the rectifier type tone. I like more of a JMP turned up kind of sound.

With the preamp wound all of the way up it will get distorted but the amount of distortion depends on speaker selection and preamp tube selection. I decided to go with a Mojo 2x12 Cabinet with greenbacks so it will distort a little sooner.

I built if from Nik's kit and it took me a while to trace down a bad V1 tube that was causing hum but now it's sounds killer. Highly recommended and Nik is the salt of the earth. Great responsive guy and very high quality parts.

Here's a pic:
http://www.joepopp.net/jcm800/jcm1.jpg
0 x