JCM 800 Pre v. TMB Pre vs. HiWatt Pre type amp questions

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

ThinlineTeleJim

JCM 800 Pre v. TMB Pre vs. HiWatt Pre type amp questions

Post by ThinlineTeleJim »

I indeed love my Gabriel Voxer and I am exceptionally satisfied with the Marshally cruch or EF86-based chime or crunchy gain, depending on how i push it, especially with a bit of clean boost in front of it, but since owning it and having helped "consult" a friend build a Lightning clone for his daughter (my guitar student), I've indeed been bitten by the bug to try some thing on my own.

Here's what I'm thinking...I want to try the 6V6 power section because of the good reports on solid lowend from folks and since I already own a fine EL84 amp and I'm looking to make a one trick pony here. Maybe a solid state rectifier in there, too...i dunno. I'm looking for some thing that's a bit higher gain than what I have now.

At this point, with a Les Paul, I can get almost all I want for a nice Jimmy Eat World-style modern rock (not uber-heavy), but if I want that last little bit of gain for something, I have to step on my Barber Direct Drive (with the gain bairly up). I'd like to eliminate that step...and have fun building an amp in the process!

Can ya'll run me through some of the tonal & gain differences between the JCM 800 2203/2204 Pre, the TMB Pre, the HiWatt Pre, or any other suggestions to maybe help steer me in the right direction? The JCM has 3 gain stages, am I correct? What about the others?

What are some other useful mods/features I might should think about including...I know this is my amp, but what was the feature or two you put into your last build that made you say, "why didn't I include that sooner?". I like the Cut and 6 position switch on my current rig...is the switch something that you've heard on before in an 12AX7 channel? Maybe a 1/2 power switch - is that doable with 6V6's?

I've just pulled up to the drawing board, so to speak, so I'm open to anything. You guys rock!
0 x
~jim~
***Proud owner of a Gabriel Voxer head + 2x12" Slant Convertible-Back Cabinet***

benjoi

Post by benjoi »

Check out Mark Huss' Plexi 6v6 he's got clips and pics. I believe his is 1987 preamp into 6v6 power section. A 2204 is pretty much a 1987 with the extra (3rd) gain stage for the HI input and the LOW input is the same.

I hope that helps.
0 x

nickpi
Unrated

Post by nickpi »

I think the hiwatt pre is a little more clean than the marshall pre
0 x

briane
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by briane »

As an FYI the JCM 800 is what I consider an 'advanced' build. Be prepared to deal with oscillation and ground loop issues.

Dont want to scare you, just set aside time for that part of the build too.

I would go with a 5e3 for a straightforward 6v6 build. Pefect for a first build IMO.
0 x
gum

benjoi

Post by benjoi »

briane wrote:As an FYI the JCM 800 is what I consider an 'advanced' build. Be prepared to deal with oscillation and ground loop issues.
IMO.
That's true. It seems anything more than two gain stages picks up alot of noise and wants to ocillate. I'm doing a 2204 next anyways. :D It takes alot of patience to work through noise/ocillation problems. Your really diving into the deep end with your first build. :wink:
0 x

ThinlineTeleJim

Post by ThinlineTeleJim »

well...i was around while Paul was working through his build's noise issues and i'm not in any hurry since I have a great amp right now...i'm willing to do my homework and put in my frustrating hours for sure...i have a pretty long fuse, so I think I can hang in there. i'm not going into this sugarcoated, that's for sure!!!

any other ideas???

p.s. thanks for those so far.
0 x
~jim~
***Proud owner of a Gabriel Voxer head + 2x12" Slant Convertible-Back Cabinet***