JTM45

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

watahond
Unrated

JTM45

Post by watahond »

Sorry for such a silly question but the Ceriatone JTM45 is it 45 watts or 30 watts. Also, can someone explain the difference in sound, overdrive/clean, between a jtm45 and a TMB 18 watt. Thanks.
0 x

lo-watt
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by lo-watt »

Wattage is dependent on the tubes used.Somewhere between 45 and 30 is a good bet. Basically,a JTM45 is a great Marshall tone but at louder volume. The 18 watt is a great Marshall tone with less headroom or it distorts earlier than a JTM...
0 x

Wicksy
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Wicksy »

A JTM 45 running KT66s should in theory put out around 35 watts of clean power and about 45 - 50 watts at full tilt.

As for the difference in overdrive, from my experiences, i'd say the JTM 45 has a darker, slightly bassy growl while the 18 watt (an old Marshall 18 watt combo was what i tried) was brighter, more mid-ranged tone. More like the classic Marshall type tone from later EL34 amps.
0 x

Phil_S
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Phil_S »

A JTM45 is probably more like a 35w amp, but actual output could be more...it depends on tubes, bias, etc.

The JTM45 has way more headroom before it starts to distort compared to the 18W. The one I built runs EL34's and has a better bottom end and a cleaner top end. Both can get pretty crunchy. If you have need/desire for more clean, the JTM45 is what you want.
0 x

watahond
Unrated

Post by watahond »

thank for all the reply's...I would have gotten back in here ealier but I am currently demolishing my Kitchen to redo it next weekend...It has been fun :D

So, basically a attenuated 18 or jtm 45 will have similiar crunch. Will backing off volume clean up nicely on both??

also, if were to build a 2x12 would I be better off going with 8 ohm or 16 ohm and what wattage speaker would you suggest.

Thanks.
0 x

Phil_S
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Phil_S »

watahond wrote:So, basically a attenuated 18 or jtm 45 will have similiar crunch. Will backing off volume clean up nicely on both??

also, if were to build a 2x12 would I be better off going with 8 ohm or 16 ohm and what wattage speaker would you suggest.
The 18 and the 45 have a different vibe. Even the crunch and cream sound different. Backing off on the 18 doesn't give nearly as much headroom as the 45. Similar is subjective.

As for a 2x12, two 8z speakers in series = 16z. Two 16z speakers in parallel = 8z. Two 4z speakers in series = 8z. The answer depends on your output tranny. I would use the highest ohm tap available.
0 x