New Website for amp builders

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

nwobhm
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

New Website for amp builders

Post by nwobhm »

Has anyone heard of this site musicalpowersupplies.com. :?: I just bought a couple of his Ot's and a PT. They seamed to be prced about 10.00 less than there Hammond equivalent with multitap primaries allowing to tailor your secondary voltages VERY COOL! He has 18watt PT but, I didn't need one. Seams like good deals and priced towards the DIYer.
0 x

Alexo
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by Alexo »

And what's more they are spec'd to 120V input, with a +5% option for $2.50! Maybe I can actually run my heaters at 6.3 volts with one of those!
0 x

Cathode_Ray
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

new irun

Post by Cathode_Ray »

Yeah,
I know the guy. Very knowledgable and builds nice stuff. Saw his stuff as he developed it and I'm impressed. (but then I'm very impressionabe - least thats what she said! Or was that Impressive ...)

CR
0 x

matndona
Transformer Guy

Musical Power Supplies

Post by matndona »

Yeah...that's me.

These are made in China using my designs & a source I'd trained to build magnetics over the last decade. I'm pretty happy with the results.

I have horizontal and vertical cases & the zinc plated covers really dress these up nicely. Like cheap chrome.

These are not intended to be reproductions of great iron from the golden age of vacuum tubes. In my mind they're updates to the basic DIY type of tools Hammond makes, but with some cool features like the PT taps and the parallel OT windings & a design goal <achieved> of a $50 to $60 set of magnetics for a hobbyist that wants to try a bunch of things out without going broke.

Lot's of detail on the webpage (www.musicalpowersupplies.com) & I'll keep several of each configuration in stock on the eBay store.

If you give them a try I'd love to hear what you think.
0 x
MattMatt@MusicalPowerSupplies.comhttp://www.musicalpowersupplies.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Geek
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Geek »

Hi,

How do you get them from China? I tried getting transformers from my wholesaler (who has since discontinued transformers) via courier and mail and they came so badly damaged, I couldn't use them.

Cheers!
0 x
Gregg

matndona
Transformer Guy

Post by matndona »

These are heavy. You've got to send them surface and know a little bit about shipping and customs. You need a shipper that will handle a less than container load (LCL) shipment. I have a friend that runs an LCL shipment monthly & just tagged my stuff alongside.

I built the cost of individual boxes and outer cartons into my plans. I also had each unit sealed in a bag to prevent rust. Got here no problems.

I shipped 3 piece samples several times by UPS. Never had any problems with parts shipped in styrofoam cutouts, then boxed. Any way I do that though I get billed $100 an air shipment off the mainland. Only use that for sampling.
0 x

Geek
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Geek »

Thanks!

First time was through DHL and there was even tire tracks on the box :evil:

Second time was via "Air, Land and Sea" and was in better shape (same crushed, but no tire tracks) :roll:

Sidepoint - the postal was FASTER than DHL and zero brokerage charges (rant on this elsewhere in the forum)! :lol:

Cheers!
0 x
Gregg

candh
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by candh »

Matndona,

Great site. I'd love to try your trannies. BUT, I need 100v primaries for Japan....bummer :(

candh
0 x

nomad100
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by nomad100 »

why sell threw ebay, i myself am hesitant to jump on the ebay band wagon.
0 x

tubetwang
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by tubetwang »

Hey Geek, nice to meet you... :roll:

I've just received my e-bike tire order and was wondering about the few heater wires stuck in some of them... :lol:
0 x

Graydon
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by Graydon »

candh wrote:Matndona,

Great site. I'd love to try your trannies. BUT, I need 100v primaries for Japan....bummer :(

candh
I have 18W PTs with a 100V primary for Japan. Contact me off line if you're interested.
0 x
Sincerely,
Graydon Stuckey
www.gdsamps.com
www.guytron.com

nwobhm
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by nwobhm »

nomad100 wrote:why sell threw ebay, i myself am hesitant to jump on the ebay band wagon.
You can buy directly from the website. What difference does it make if he sells on ebay? Lots of parts suppliers and builders on this forum do.
0 x

benjoi

Post by benjoi »

My brother wants a 5e3 for as cheap as possible. I was looking at W**** trannys but yours look better and cost less. I will hopefully order a set in the next month or so. I like the horizontal and vertical mount options.
0 x

spudwrench2
Unrated

Re: Musical Power Supplies

Post by spudwrench2 »

Ordered an OPT from e-bay just now. I'll let you know what I think once I get it. If it's even halfway decent, it's a solid value. It sounds like you put a fair bit of R&D effort into them too....

Nathan

matndona wrote:Yeah...that's me.

These are made in China using my designs & a source I'd trained to build magnetics over the last decade. I'm pretty happy with the results.

I have horizontal and vertical cases & the zinc plated covers really dress these up nicely. Like cheap chrome.

These are not intended to be reproductions of great iron from the golden age of vacuum tubes. In my mind they're updates to the basic DIY type of tools Hammond makes, but with some cool features like the PT taps and the parallel OT windings & a design goal <achieved> of a $50 to $60 set of magnetics for a hobbyist that wants to try a bunch of things out without going broke.

Lot's of detail on the webpage (www.musicalpowersupplies.com) & I'll keep several of each configuration in stock on the eBay store.

0 x

nomad100
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by nomad100 »

i didn't see a regular check out type cart on his web page but after further investigation i did see the option not to buy threw ebay. I know some people who have gotten screw on ebay so I'm not an ebay shopper. Not to mention everytime someone i know buys something on ebay it's more of a hassle then click here and check out type purchasing.
0 x

nickt

Re: Musical Power Supplies

Post by nickt »

matndona wrote:Yeah...that's me.

Love to try you OTs but we need a 240V primary here in Oz for PTs.

Have you thought of putting parallel 120V primaries as an option and perhaps going in with distributors in Oz and Europe? This could get your piece count up. Perhaps ship from China direct to customer/distributor to reduce double handling for non-US orders?

Hmmm... thinking about the above that I can see it may be simply "too hard".

Good luck anyhow.
0 x

Geek
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Geek »

Hi,
tubetwang wrote:Hey Geek, nice to meet you... :roll:

I've just received my e-bike tire order and was wondering about the few heater wires stuck in some of them... :lol:
Nice to meet you too! :D

Ya lost me on the rest though :lol:

Cheers!
0 x
Gregg

matndona
Transformer Guy

Post by matndona »

Re - Japan: you can reach down to about 114V with the taps on these. I was thinking more in terms of helping folks that were working from 117Vac circuits. I may try for 100Vac tap on the next run but int'l shipping would be pretty steep for magnetics...unless someone wants to stock these in Japan.

Re- 220/240V: I'm talking to my supplier about putting a batch of PT's together at 220/240V and selling them back in Hong Kong. There's a pretty strong DIY market there in Hi End SE Audio amps. If anyone's strongly interested in lots of 50 or so (mix and match voltages/types) for EU, Asia, Australia etc please contact me directly.

Right now I'm starting work on some larger SE & PP OT's using the lamination sizes from the PT, but in a nice thin high grade lamination. If and when I sell half of the current lot I need to have a few new things to offer to expand the range.

As far as eBay goes, a store is cheap real estate there at $15/mo. They have a pretty good marketing tool there that tells you where visitors come from. I'm hoping to lead more people back to the website over time. After 3 weeks it looks like there are few few basic things I've learned:
1. you do need to keep a couple of things out in auction format to drag people back to your store listing
2. You just need to be nice to people and answer questions to get them back to your website
3. there's a bunch of homebrew folks in Canada!

I might get tired of giving eBay 8 to 10% of the sale. But it's OK for now.
0 x
MattMatt@MusicalPowerSupplies.comhttp://www.musicalpowersupplies.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;