Too Loud!!!

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

dubnluvn
Unrated

Too Loud!!!

Post by dubnluvn »

Note: I posted this on the 45watt forum as well but, this forum seems to get a little more 'action' so I'm posting it here as well. I'll apologize in advance if it doesn't belong here.

Ok, my wife got me a Blues Deluxe RI for Fathers day and the damn thing is too F'ing loud. I can't even put the volume past 2! I'm trying to sell it at the moment but I'd like to keep it if there was a way to cut the wattage, like I've heard about with other amps. Is there a way to do this to this amp? And secondly will the amp gain those tube amp qualities by being able to turn the volume up without having plaster fall from the ceiling? If its not worth it I'm just going to get one of them Champion 600's they have now. Information? Opinions?

-dub
0 x

Mooreamps
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Mooreamps »

Power Scaling.
-g
0 x

chriswu101
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Too Loud!!!

Post by chriswu101 »

dubnluvn wrote:Note: I posted this on the 45watt forum as well but, this forum seems to get a little more 'action' so I'm posting it here as well. I'll apologize in advance if it doesn't belong here.

Ok, my wife got me a Blues Deluxe RI for Fathers day and the damn thing is too F'ing loud. I can't even put the volume past 2! I'm trying to sell it at the moment but I'd like to keep it if there was a way to cut the wattage, like I've heard about with other amps. Is there a way to do this to this amp? And secondly will the amp gain those tube amp qualities by being able to turn the volume up without having plaster fall from the ceiling? If its not worth it I'm just going to get one of them Champion 600's they have now. Information? Opinions?

-dub
You are right, it does not belong here. At the moderators request, posting such as this should no longer go on this webpage. Please respect these rules, as everyone else is trying to follow them. Don't mean to sound harsh, but that is the way things are around here now. I would suggest moving this to PPwatt.com, or searching the forums archives. There is plenty of information already posted on attenuators, power scaling, ect.
0 x

tridders

Too loud!

Post by tridders »

Hi dubnluvn,

The problem is caused by Fender using a linear pot* . However there is a workaround.

Get a 1 Meg audio (log) pot and wire it as a regular volume control, i.e., pin 1 'in', pin 2 'out' and pin three to earth (ground). Mount this in a suitably sized project box and feed the input to the pot from the preamp out socket. Take the output and plug this into the power amp in socket.

Sorted.

The amp will be much more usable and doesn't involve any mods.

Harry, my bandmate, has the very same amp and the very same problem. Or he did, until I built him this little box of tricks.

* Guitarist tries amp in shop. 'Wow, this thing is *loud* on '2'. I wonder how loud it will be when I get it home and I can turn it up?'

Answer? Not much.

Cynic? Me?

HTH,

Trev
0 x
Maker of all valve hand wired amps

http://www.tipton-amps.co.uk

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Yes, this thread should really have been posted on PPwatt.com It's not a JTM45 question either. I believe Meza is another company guilty of using linear pots to make amps sound louder on low volume settings. :x
Mooreamps wrote:Power Scaling.
-g
Too invasive IMO, and difficult to install into PCB-based amps. An attenuator is easier to do, despite the theoretical benefits of power scaling.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp