Baffle/speaker spacing question

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

PaulT
Unrated

Baffle/speaker spacing question

Post by PaulT »

Hi all,

I am in the midst of designing a 2x12, open backed cab and I have what may be a dumb question... Is there a recommended amount of space that should exist between the two speakers and the edge of the baffle? My current design leaves at least 1.5 inches between the speakers or any edge of the baffle and I'm second guessing myself now. Would this create a phasing issue, or am I thinking about this too much? Any help would be much appreciated; I'd rather re-draw now than re-buy and re-cut later...

Thanks,

Paul
0 x

jaysg
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by jaysg »

You're good. It doesn't sound like anything is cramped up. You'd have to separate the speakers a good deal to be working with acoustics. This is the rear view of what many consider a good 2-12":
0 x

PaulT
Unrated

Post by PaulT »

I was hoping someone would say that... thanks for the replies.

If it's more of a strength issue... I was looking to use a 1/2 inch plywood baffle; do you think this is thick enough? As well, would you recommend a secured baffle vs. a floating baffle in this case? I should have ample room for T-nuts to secure the speakers, so the pure mechanics of ensuring the speakers don't rub against each other or on the cleats isn't a problem.

Thanks for all of the help... I'm excited to get started on this...
0 x