New to forum-just bought a 36 watt

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

flatfive

Post by flatfive »

What kind of switch should I use for a half-power switch.

The layout provided on this thread shows a half-power switch. It looks like I need to connect v7 to v4 (pin 3) and v6 to v5. That's not the way mine is. Its got v4 to v5 and v6 to v7.
0 x

TDuly
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by TDuly »

flatfive wrote:Yes, I think so. The pots were wired correct after all, they had the treble on the left and the bass on the right and the layout had it the opposite. I couldn't find any other problems.
That explains it.

In the layout you will notice that the tubes are fed on pin 9 as the push pull pairs V4-V5 and V6-V7. The cathodes should be pairedV4-V7 and V5-V6. Thus, when you lift one cathode resistor with a half power switch you are turning off one tube of each push pull pair leaving 1 tube on each side of the phase inverter. Be aware that the half power switch doesn't do much in the way of reducing perceived volume in this amp but actually reduces bass response. A standard spst on/off switch is all you need for it. You're just lifting the cathode ground of two tubes. You could simulate this by lifting that ground manually once the cathodes are wired correctly.
0 x

flatfive

Post by flatfive »

I may not bother if it isn't going to make a big difference. Must be the large PT? This thing does actually break up fairly early (4?). 4 is way too loud for my condo, but would work for gigs. I like it.
0 x

TDuly
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by TDuly »

flatfive wrote:I like it.
That's all that matters. :D
0 x

Post by Newbie »

Guys I just bought a 36 watt as well, but after I bought it I've noticed that the builder didn't finish installing 2 out of the 4 inputs. Could someone possible send me a wiring diagram so I can fix this problem? The amp was a W**** 6m36, so if that helps you help me then I guess it was worth the potential wrath of a certain Amp/Speaker company!
0 x

tarzanalog
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by tarzanalog »

I'd ask if it's worth it to add them at this point... did they build it as a one-channel amp with two inputs or two-channel with only one input for each?
0 x

Post by Newbie »

It was a two channel amp with 1 imput on each channel, but I just found out that they internally jumped the channels so that no extra cord will be necessary. It's a little odd I'll admit, but who knows this could turn out really cool. 8O
0 x

flatfive

Post by flatfive »

Hey TDuly, when I install the half power switch do I use the attached wiring scheme? Anything else I have to do?
0 x

TDuly
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by TDuly »

flatfive wrote:Hey TDuly, when I install the half power switch do I use the attached wiring scheme? Anything else I have to do?
Yep, that's the one I used. All you are doing is separating the cathode grounds of the two sets of power tubes and lifting one set from ground with the switch.
0 x