Weird Sounds from m new baby

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

bigtbluesman

Weird Sounds from m new baby

Post by bigtbluesman »

Hi Guys,

I'm a new guy to this 18 watt thing. I had a tech budddy frankenstien my old early seventies Marshall 10 - wattt into a bastard 18 watt. It sounds fairly good untill you peg it. The origional 2 x 10's had to be changed, they were pretty shot when I got the amp. We fired it up and at full go it blew the speakers. I changed the speakers to (1) Weber Bue Pup and (1) Weber Silver Bell. Thhe amp sounds O.K. untill you peg it, but it still sounds like it's "overloading" in a non-musical way.

I know I'm talking Non-Tech to a bunch of guys that leave my tech knowlege in the dirt, but any help would be appreciated.

The other weird thing is that although the Trem sounds outstanding on this amp now, if you touch the Trem Vol. knob, you get a crackling sound. Could this be my problem? I sincerly appreciate any / all advice.

I should also mention that we used a scematic that we got off the Forum and re-built the tag board, added tubes,changed caps, etc, as well as changed a tranny.

Thanks in advance,

:lol: Big T :lol:
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

First i would suggest trying a different tube in that socket for the trem, Its very sensitive,and sometubes just don't seem to want to work in that spot,and can have a static sound like a loose ground etc.. thats is another thing that you might look for is a loose ground if the tube swap don't fix it.
Pot grounds etc..

Richie
0 x