Where do I start?

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Alex

Where do I start?

Post by Alex »

I am interested in buliding an amp but just don't know where to start! Can someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction?
0 x

Psalm150
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Psalm150 »

I think a kit is the best way to start. Something with step-by-step instructions and pictures. I started with an Allen kit which was great, but I think Graydon's kit might be better since I believe it has pictures. I think it's good to start with a kit because there are just a lot of details and amp-building conventions that are hard to figure out on your own, although that's certainly possible. Also, it's nice to have all the parts with the kit, as buying those can be a daunting task until you learn about what type to use. Once I did a kit, I found it was easy to then take a lay-out, order my own parts and be all set. But there were many confusing things to me like how to wire the jacks, what guage wire to use, etc. that got answered when I built a kit. Hope that helps. 8)
0 x

Alex

Post by Alex »

Where can I find one of these kits? I'd like to select my own speaker and details like that if possible.
0 x

fierce_carrot

Post by fierce_carrot »

This is Graydons Website. I've built his 18watt kit and I give it outstanding reviews from top to bottom.

http://elektro.cmhnet.org/~graydon/18wattmain.html

If you like Marshall Plexi tone, this is the holy grail. :lol: :lol:
0 x

Deadbeat2

Let me suggest......

Post by Deadbeat2 »

I think this would be the best advice I can give you. Read, read, read and read some more, all you can about amplifier building. Go to every amp forum you can find and read the posts to see what problems YOU WILL run in to. I tried to take on an AX84 November 2+2 as my second amp and you know what, it didn't work. The AX84 P1 was first and it did work, after I burnt up a good Power Transformer. Start small, then work your way up. Maybe even start by trying to repair and/or cap a couple of used amps. By an old used tube amp (Bogen, Bell&Howell/Hammond) for $20-$40 off e-Bay and tinker. This is where I got my parts for my first amp. Amp kits are great because you get all the parts needed and Graydon's have nice instructions. I, personally would not suggest an 18 watter for a first build. The tremelo section is a bitch to get right as the lead dress is all important. the 18 watt Lite would be good, though. Go to AX84 and read there, try the nice easy projects like the P1. I built in this order. AX84 P1, 5E3 Tweed Deluxe, AX84 Hi Octane, 18 Watter, Spitifire, AC15. I am not trying to discourage you at all, I really love building amps but it can be dangerous (Lethal voltages) and expensive (burnt parts). Good luck, I wish you well. Bruce J.
0 x

Graydon
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Re: Let me suggest......

Post by Graydon »

Deadbeat2 wrote:suggest an 18 watter for a first build. The tremelo section is a bitch to get right as the lead dress is all important. the 18 watt Lite would be good, though.
I would respectfully disagree with this. I have _never_ had a problem with the tremolo not working unless I forgot a component or a solder connection. If you follow the layout of Colin's amp (or the instructions in my kit) and use good quality, new parts, you are virtually guaranteed that it will work just fine.

Every single time someone has reported a problem with their tremolo, it has ended up being a misplaced component or wire.

I think that the 18W is an excellent first time project.
0 x
Sincerely,
Graydon Stuckey
www.gdsamps.com
www.guytron.com

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

Just don't do like Graydon and build a Dumble for a first amp..:)

We've had many first time builders. It is alot easier when you have all this info and help. Pics and FAQ on and on. When we first started building these amps, we discused or debated over helping newbies,. I'm glad we did.
It helps to know some things and it will make it easier to research and practice soldering. If you run into a problem,just ask for help.
Just watch out the amp building bug can bite ya. As you look through the files and pics, you'll see some first time builders have built amps that look as good as the experienced ones.

Mark has some great build info, and pics to help show about how it all should be. Theres just so much good info here, and i think thats why most amps turn out so well. the kit would be the easiest. And others have used the parts list and built there amp.

i think Gabi hand made about all of his stuff for his amp.
Then if you feel its too much there are a few other groups or websites that offer kits etc.. Allen amps, And Bruce Collins has the 5E3, the AX84 site, think there are some others. But this is a great amp. And been proven a newbie can build it..
Richie
0 x

Brian

Post by Brian »

I would say the 18 watt with tremelo is not very difficult to build at all. The amp is pretty straight forward. I did not have any real problems with it. There were a few minor tweaks I had to do to make it noise free but nothing that I would consider too difficult. The amp worked on the first try. There are alot of members on this site who are very helpful if a problem is encountered. I built it using the chassis and transformers from Graydon but I did not buy the complete kit. I think the kit would make things even easier with the instructions and all. I have built one amp previous to the 18 watt. It was an AX84 High-Octane. It was more difficult in my opinion. It is more prone to hum and squeal if the layout and lead dress is not just right. I am still tinkering with it to try and get rid of some hum. I do like it alot though. I had alot of fun building the 18 watt and it sounds fantastic. It does need to be cranked up a bit to distort though. You can always use a pedal if you cant turn it up to 10. I have been using a Rangemaster clone to drive the signal a bit. All said I would highly recommend building an 18 Watt. :D
0 x

fierce_carrot

Post by fierce_carrot »

I can only speak about Graydons kit as I have successfully built one and use it regularly.

Its a very well thought out kit, all the components are iindividually labeled, the manual is absolutely first rate, almost like the instructions that came with the model cars I built as a kid. There are pix in the manual and Graydon was very helpful when I did have a question.

The biggest problem was me. I was so damned anxious to complete the project that I forced myself to slow down and take my time. The amp fired up the very first time and has worked like a champ ever since. The only problem I had turned out to be a bad Celestion speaker and thats being covered under their warranty.

The only real recommendation I would make about Graydon, or anybody else's kits are to make damn sure you can SOLDER and do it well the very first time. After that, its a cakewalk, and now I have an amp that is 100% mine, I built it, had the cab built & covered to my specs and even has a logo that is unique.

Now I can't decide on my next project. Once Graydon gets moved and life back to normal I am gonna pressure him to finish the manual on his JTM 45 kit.....
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

If you've built any electronics projects before you should be OK to try one of Graydon's kits. If not, I would suggest cutting your teeth on the AX84 P1, which is a very simple two-tube amp. That will give you all the skills and confidence to build an 18watter. When you do one of those, you want to be sure you're doing it right. The AX84 High Octane mentioned previously in this thread is also not an ideal first project. It's both more complex, and due to the high gain levels, more prone to instability.
0 x

Gabi
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by Gabi »

Alex...

Gread thread here...
I can only speak for myself. As Richie (Plexi) point it out, I handmade all the parts myself and in one way it was a hit. I learned a lot, etc., and here are the conclusions I got to:

1. If I ever gona make this amp again, I'll order the parts from Graydon (at least the chassis/trannys/faceplate. Why? Well, just because I don't want to go again through going to the "Spirits and Such" store, to buy a Corona beer box, then bring that to the aluminum gutter company about 30 min from here to bend my chassis, that I have to drill it, punch it (note that chassis punchers are quite expensive - about $30-40 a piece, and here you'll need 2 different ones, one for the tube sockets, and one for the big filter can).

2. I would NOT want to spend time trying to match every component (right knob to the right pot, and such) virtually and spend more time finding the best price/quality parts places where I can buy them...

3. As much as I enjoy woodworking, I wouldn't want to spend time on building the cabinet, (and not to speak of the tolexing art!!!) especially that I'll probably would like to play my guitar with a complete set of ten fingers :mrgreen:

It was a great learning experience and it was my very first amp but to be honest as said before, if I would build it again, I would order at least the chassis/trannies/faceplate/cabinet and add my personal mojo touch on the electronic components (rez, caps, tubes) part...

It is so much easier to have everything in a kit that has a really nice documentation where everything is explained, layed out etc., especially for a person who never did this before.

I don't want to discourage those who really want to go in it and do everything themselves, as they will gain great experience, and a great amp (see people like Lynn Cowden's aka Fierce Carrot, Brian, Nico, etc.). Does that mean that you'll possibly run into certain difficulties as redplating, tremolo or other problems? It might well be so.
It happened to me too. But it was becouse I forgot to solder a wire here, and another there, etc.
Having so many helpful people here on the forum, I would feel secure that things will get solved if somehow you'll run into some problems...

Whoa! I neve write this long! I have to get back to work 8O

Take care,
Gabi.
0 x

MCylinder

Additional question Where do I start?

Post by MCylinder »

I would love to build my own, after reading some of the replys, I think I would like to start off with amp repairs, and reading in the meantime. Any suggested reading materials for amp repairs or electrical circuitry? Thank MC
0 x

Jason

Post by Jason »

Alex,

I'd recommend Graydon's kit as well. It is fairly priced [especially considering the "tech support" here and the fact that you cannot buy a better amp from any store]. Also, the quality is there. The Iron is excellent and his chassis is standing up to some rough handling. Graydon and I are not affiliated in any way, but I have bought from him and found him to be a very worthy guy. Treated me great. I'll be glad to give him more business.

The only downer is that if this is your first project, it is not terribly difficult, but it is not an easy build either. If you take your time and do everything properly, there is no reason your amp will not perform perfectly.

Jason
0 x