smell?

Tube-specific discussions

Moderators: zaphod_phil, CurtissRobin, colossal

supah
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

smell?

Post by supah »

when the 18 watt is on, should you be able to smell something like a hair dryer? I'm talking a really faint smell, gotta put your nose up to the grill on top to smell it.
0 x
life is too short for bad tone.

cGil
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by cGil »

Might be new cab smell. But don't tell FEMA. You'll never get it resolved.

Gil...
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

a couple or three things come to mind.. don't know what 18 you have, a clone, or marshall reissiue. If its a clone,and uses the darker blue oxide power stage resistors, they can give off a faint smell when they heat up,that can smell something like a transformer going bad.
Also some of the reissiue marshalls,came with matching tube stickers on the tubes..those gave off a buring smell. Also quite a few reissiue transformer have gone bad,and also would sometimes give off a smell before going ka-put..some just died quick..
Other thn that..some amps when new give off a kind of smell.. usually one can tell if its something not good, or is normal.
0 x

Phil_S
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Phil_S »

If new, it could be dirt or residue being burnt off of something. Old dusty tubes produce this odor for a short time. It could well be benign. If there is no smoke, just keep your eye on it. I think, eventually, it will go away.
0 x

supah
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by supah »

thanks guys. The smell is so faint you have to be close up to even smell it and there's no smoke whatsoever so I'll take it as a good thing until further notice :D
0 x

tubelovin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by tubelovin »

My superlite has that smell too. I thought it was the tubes cooking. I do have 4 or 5 metal oxide resistors so maybe thats it. I can smell mine a couple feet away. I'll power up and see if I can track mine down.
0 x

kedsinger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kedsinger »

It should be fine as long as the playing doesn't stink too :lol: :lol: Just kidding. Is the amp new/just built? If so, It's burning in my friend, but do watch it.
Keith
0 x

BooBird
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by BooBird »

I Would check the Bias to make sure it's not the paint burning off the tube bottle, I've had this happen on my first 18 watt build, the tube's were biased a little on the warm side and i could smell the paint on the tube cooking, I rebiased the amp and the smell went away !
Boo
0 x

Ripstich

Post by Ripstich »

My wife has got this little dog, that quite frankly I have given up all hope on training him to be a tube sniffer, but I am sure that he would stick his nose it there. No milk bone required, I am sure he would find the culprit. One word of caution though he is a nipper.

If that smoke was something major you would know it by now. I really wouldn't worry about the smell, I love that smell, the older the better.

Have a nice night
0 x
lets just start with a set of 809´s and work backwards

supah
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by supah »

kedsinger wrote:It should be fine as long as the playing doesn't stink too
Zing!!!!!!111one

anyway, yeah the build is new :) I'm just making sure it's "done" done before I post it up here lol.
0 x

drake

Post by drake »

...since I put a Tone-Tubby w/Hemp-Cone in my 1974X, my drummer keeps sniffin´ around my amp.... :lol:

..seriously, my amp does it even now after owning her since April 2006!

I wouldn´t worry about it. I quite like it... 8)

But don´t get caught sniffin´.... you may get arrested... :wink:

Happy New Year

drake
0 x