i think im gonna make an 18 watter

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

stsk

i think im gonna make an 18 watter

Post by stsk »

i already made a p1 from www.ax84.com and it came out pretty good even tho i really know nothing about electronics

over the summer i plan on making a bigger amp, im 16 so i dont have the money to do it now

ive only been playing guitar for a little over 2 years but im really getting into amp building

some of those pics of amps on this site look great! i hope mine come out as good, i will try to get some pics up when i start

btw, how much would an amp like that cost? my p1 was only about $200 but over the summer i should have a $1k or 2, but im also probably gonna buy a new guitar
0 x

Psalm150
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Psalm150 »

Well, for a DYI jobbie, the 18 is expensive. If you could make your own cab you'd save a bundle o dough. It adds up pretty quick:
$400-cab
$100-?? speaker(s)
$100 transformers
$100 chassis
$100 misc. parts (wire, caps, resitors, pots, knobs, switches, board, etc.)

It can get up to a grand quick.

Is it worth it?

YES :!: :!:

I think no matter how long it took to save up, it would be worth it. Besides, you can order parts as you get teh cash and don't have to lay it all out at once. Unquestionably one of the very best amps ever made.
0 x

Psalm150
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Psalm150 »

Of course going with the head instead of the combo would save you some major cash! But in my opinion...
the heads don't have the mojo of the combos!
0 x

Graydon
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by Graydon »

Psalm150 wrote:Of course going with the head instead of the combo would save you some major cash! But in my opinion...
the heads don't have the mojo of the combos!
That is true. They also don't have the buzzes and rattles of the combos! I hate combos. :mrgreen:
0 x
Sincerely,
Graydon Stuckey
www.gdsamps.com
www.guytron.com

stsk

Post by stsk »

hey graydon... i been looking at your site a lot

pretty cool... i will probably order the chasis and faceplate and transformers from you when i have the money....

is it possible that u include a copy of ur manual with it even if i dont buy a kit?
0 x