Mojo Head Cabinets

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Wayne_Alexander
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Mojo Head Cabinets

Post by Wayne_Alexander »

If any of you are looking for a head cabinet to fit one of the GDS head chassis, don't buy Mojo's "standard Marshall Smallbox" head cab, it doesn't fit. It is priced well, though, $225 for standard Marshall black tolex (no metal mesh at the top of the back, but otherwise looks quite authentic).

There are two fit issues. First, the depth of the GDS chassis (including the two plexi panels that are mounted on the front and back) is 7 5/8", while the inside depth of the stock Mojo cab is 7".

Second, the bottom cutout on the H-shaped back panel is slightly too narrow for the GDS chassis, which now has a socket for a 3-prong power cord instead of a hardwired power cord, thus requiring about 1" more width to accommodate the mounting flange of the socket. The cutout needs to be 17 3/4" wide, the Mojo one is 16 3/4".

HOWEVER, I'm having Mojo make me a custom head cab that is the same as their smallbox one except with the correct dimensions, and with rough blond tolex instead of the standard Marshall black tolex, and it's only going to cost $265. That appears to be somewhat cheaper than cabinets from some other custom builders, and Mojo said I should receive it in less than a month (also faster than most custom builders).

I'll post an update after I receive it.
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Cabinets,from Paul Kress

Post by Plexi »

Another good cabinet maker is Paul Kress.. if you need a cabinet.
And the price is very very good,and he does great work.

I talked to him today and he said he had about 10 smallbox heads.
I told him about our site, and if he has the details could make whatever you wanted.
Here is a link to an amp place that uses his cabs..
http://www.tatooamps.com/productspage1.htm

Hes working on a web page, so he can post his prices and options.

Hes in Columbus ohio. his number is 1-614-679-4655

Richie
0 x

Wayne_Alexander
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

The new Mojo cabinet arrived today. It's really beautiful. It's now the proper dimensions (see measurements above, any of you who need a head cab that will fit Graydon's head chassis). I had them use standard Marshall head cosmetics, piping, etc but with rough blond tolex like the early 60's Fender amps. It looks great. I'll post pictures eventually after I get it all built. The cost of the custom one was $265 plus shipping, if anyone needs one of these. They can make them in any of the normal tolex colors and types. It does not have the metal mesh in the upper opening on the back, that's just open, but that's ok with me.
0 x

oggimyson

Post by oggimyson »

If you keep an eye out on ebay Kress on occasion will put a head cab out there. Got a big box for jtm45 project for 56.00! (Original customer bailed I guess) Granted it's far from stock in appearance- blond tolex, red piping and a red/jute front panel- the build quality is great and at that price who cares if the head is stock looking or not- who am I kidding anyway.
0 x

Wayne_Alexander
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

I finished the head, and got it into the new cab. I'm quite impressed with the Mojo cab, and it looks great to me. I don't seem to be able to make a link work, but if you cut and paste the following into your browser you should be able to look at a photo at Webshots. http://community.webshots.com/photo/436 ... 4084kNFbCN
0 x

Wayne_Alexander
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

If any of the rest of you are following this, I ordered some mesh from Paul.
0 x