Shameless Noodling on old Goodmans

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

leslie
Transformer Guy

Shameless Noodling on old Goodmans

Post by leslie »

I found this Goodmans with some fifties years on it (maybe even the Beatles recorded wih it :) ).
I tested few celestion ceramics and just out of curiosity I conected this old thing.
Caution: shameless noodling :)
Of course 18w with strat.

http://www.box.net/shared/sf93f1xr62

Tell me what you think?
0 x

the_stoot64
Unrated

Post by the_stoot64 »

I think

I want to know why British watts are different to American watts. :?:
0 x

leslie
Transformer Guy

Post by leslie »

the_stoot64 wrote:I think

I want to know why British watts are different to American watts. :?:
I think in those times there were no standardized 1watt at 1meter SPL(sound pressure level) at both sides of atlantic...
Even today SI or metric system world standard have deviations in few countries in the world :)
Because measurements have long history and very different ethno roots, like elbow or foot.
Or horsepower-> Watt
James Watt was scotchman.

Or it was RMS vs PMPO story, don't know LOL
0 x

klingo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by klingo »

hey! not bad to me.
may be not the ultimate speaker, but the break-up and the sort of scooping i ear in this clip are very interessing for some stuff.
noodling not bad either, and it let me guess that you liked playing with this speaker, didn't you?
0 x

CurtissRobin
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by CurtissRobin »

Back in the day there was The Great Debate about RMS power vs. Music Power and since Music Power gave a bigger number, trumpeting that bigger number was the American thing to do to. I quit reading audio crap in the 70's so I have no idea if either self-righteous camp came to its senses (unlikely) or if anything was ever settled (also unlikely). I haven't paid more than cynical attention to guitar amp power ratings since then, either. Goodman's dual ratings seemed like a good idea, though, so those of a more conservative bent could choose speakers.

Definitely an interesting find. Thanks for sharing!

KennyO
Last edited by CurtissRobin on Tue 04/28/09 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

leslie
Transformer Guy

Post by leslie »

klingo wrote:hey! not bad to me.
may be not the ultimate speaker, but the break-up and the sort of scooping i ear in this clip are very interessing for some stuff.
noodling not bad either, and it let me guess that you liked playing with this speaker, didn't you?
Hoyla klingo,
interesting speaker but it's not suitable for gigs as it weights like 3 celestions :lol: (casted frame and heavy alnico)
But yes, it can mimic some sounds we used to hear on the vinyl, lots of compression and joy to play too!
:D
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

CurtissRobin wrote:I haven't paid more than cynical attention to guitar amp ratings since then, either. Goodman's dual ratings seemed like a good idea, though, so those of a more conservative bent could choose speakers.
Since the "American Watts" rating refers to peak music power, it's basically saying what power levels can be handled on transient peaks without damage happening to the speaker. So in the case of these speakers the label is saying that they're good for 20W RMS to be pumped through them continually, or peaks of 40W.

I also see this speaker is labeled "Goodmans Axiom 400". But Axiom was one of Fane's brand names, and early Fanes also had a cast aluminium frame. So I wonder if maybe this is really a re-badged Fane. Goodmans was really more of a budget hi-fi company anyway, rather than a guitar amp/speaker manufacturer....
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

leslie
Transformer Guy

Post by leslie »

zaphod_phil wrote:
I also see this speaker is labeled "Goodmans Axiom 400". But Axiom was one of Fane's brand names, and early Fanes also had a cast aluminium frame. So I wonder if maybe this is really a re-badged Fane. Goodmans was really more of a budget hi-fi company anyway, rather than a guitar amp/speaker manufacturer....
Casted frame and wire holders are same like in this picture, although Fane have similar frame...
0 x

Shrapnel
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Shrapnel »

SWEEET sounding speaker. Not overly bright either.

Nice find. :thumbsup:
0 x
Rock and Roll Aint Noise Pollution, neither is my amp :D

leslie
Transformer Guy

Post by leslie »

Lots of Goodmans were in Selmer amps and there are photos of the Beatles gigs with few Selmer models like stadium(15w) with similar Goodmans alnico.
Later with 30 and 50 watts models Selmer used Celestion alnico.

Ocasionally you can find Goodmans(ceramic audiom 12P-G 50w) in 70's Hiwatt 4x12 cab, to some ears they have piercing highs but if you remove metal dust cap those speakers sounds warm and have firm bass, arround 100dB bass cone.
Here is backing track with this ceramic model
http://www.box.net/shared/bu2ikv6mdc
0 x

zip008

Post by zip008 »

zaphod_phil wrote:
CurtissRobin wrote:I haven't paid more than cynical attention to guitar amp ratings since then, either. Goodman's dual ratings seemed like a good idea, though, so those of a more conservative bent could choose speakers.
Since the "American Watts" rating refers to peak music power, it's basically saying what power levels can be handled on transient peaks without damage happening to the speaker. So in the case of these speakers the label is saying that they're good for 20W RMS to be pumped through them continually, or peaks of 40W.

In the 80s I used to run my bass guitar through a 100w tube amp driving a really nice 150w (or so) 18" goodmans instrument bass speaker, in a large 4'Hx2.5'Wx2.5'D folded horn (speaker facing backwards) cabinet.

The cabinet physically restricted higher frequencies, but man, it kicked butt in the low end, even outdoors. Of course, it took it's toll on our backs when it came time to moving it around, but I never had to do weights in my spare time...

It sure sounded a lot better than a bargin basement speaker at the time, and stood up well, next to my Altec 15".

Z
0 x