Hammond ao-35 pt for 36 watt

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Buschman
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Hammond ao-35 pt for 36 watt

Post by Buschman »

I am wanting to build a 36 watter with an ef86 preamp. I also have this a0-35 just sitting around. Do any of you know the specs on that transformer? Will it handle the load from the heaters? If not , what is a good one to use.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

I thought the AO-35 only has one pair of EL84s. In that case you can build n 18W using its transformers, but not a 36W.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

ajkimba
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by ajkimba »

Seems like a beefy PT but does indeed run 2 el84.

I found this schematic but it doesn't mention all the specs.

http://www.captain-foldback.com/Hammond ... s/AO35.JPG
Might have paste the link.

If you do decide to build an 18 with the AO35, don't use the OT, very stirle sounding.
0 x

Buschman
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Buschman »

Thanks guys. Yea it looks way overbuilt for 2 el84s but you never know. I have to run my ao-35 LiteII a long time before it feels hot. I will probably build the 18 watt. I didn't really want more volume, just punch and beef.
Last edited by Buschman on Tue 05/05/09 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

ajkimba
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by ajkimba »

Buschman wrote:Thanks guys. Yea it looks way overbuilt for 2 el84s but you never know. I have to run my ao-35 LiteII a long time before it feels hot. I will probably build the 18 watt. I didn't really want more bottom just punch and beef.
Kenny, why don't you build a 6V6 18 watt with that AO35. You could do a LITE with volume, gain and tone. You'd have to open the el84 sockets for the octals but I think all would fit OK. I did a Super Lite in that chassis, tight but works great. The 6V6s would give you the beef you want, also fixed biased would be more beef. And if you use the octal rectifier socket for one 6V6 you could use diodes for rectification, even more beef and tightness. I think that amp would be a great blues amp with a strat. I'm thinking about building a 6v6 LITE, I might stay with cathode biased and change to fixed if needed.

One note: You'd probably have to use the rectifier socket for one 6V6 and the two el84 sockets would have to be covered with a piece of metal, then drill a 6V6 hole in the center (the el84s are too close together). Sounds like a lot of work but just a piece of metal over the two holes to make one. You'd have to go solid state diodes but I think that would be more beef and tightness.

There's plenty of info on this site to do it, just start with a 18 watt lite layout and wire the 6v6's accordingly, just a few changes for the 6V6. Search 6V6 Lite.
0 x