Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

JohnnyCrash
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Homemade isolation cabs?

Post by JohnnyCrash »

Anybody make homemade isolation cabs?

Any tips? What's a good, affordable, material for the inside?

I'm thinking a Celestion Gold in one box and a V30 in another...
0 x

stevesuk
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by stevesuk »

We did discuss this a couple of months ago and some useful drawings and opinions, tips etc. resulted.

http://www.18watt.com/modules.php?name= ... ic&t=20484

The sound files on my web site were recorded using a silent cab, one of my amps and a celestion Vintage 30, miked with an SM57.

Steve UK

www.valvepower.co.uk
0 x

JohnnyCrash
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by JohnnyCrash »

Cool.

It's gonna be heavy, but I'm going to make a 3/4" thick birch ply box, with a glued in layer of 3/4" MDF (I'm thinking the extra layer/density will help block more Bass frequencies), then silicon the edges/corners, and add sound proof material inside.

My largest cabs are 2x12" (two of em), so hopefully I can just get away with a single iso box for all of my amps/cabs.

Thanks for that thread link :)
0 x

gwtekman

Post by gwtekman »

If you want true isolation you have to build a box within a box with space between the two. (think of of kind of like a shock mounted rack). you could use those fancy spring clip plastic extrusions like they use in studios to make floating sound absorbing walls over a rigid wall.
0 x

norton
Unrated

Post by norton »

These boxes use the same key ideas that "soundproofing" studio construction relies on.

I'd stay away from MDF as a second layer... I don't think it has very good STC (sound transmission coefficient) numbers. You'd actually be better off with sheetrock... then line the inner cab with 703 or 814 or some other rigid fiberglass insulation.

Check out www.greengluecompany.com For tons of detailed info on topic.

The cab within a cab may prove to be problematic at the dimensions we're talking about too. I imagine that the air space between the two cabs would end up resonating pretty heavily... and could introduce some pretty strange frequency foldback.

good luck!
0 x