Post by dgriff »

Sweet 8)
0 x

ur12
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by ur12 »

Mark

That looks awesome! Love the Purple and Barry always does an excellent job! So what do you have it loaded with?
0 x

mark0614
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by mark0614 »

I thought I'd give Australian builders a heads up on Barry's cabs, I couldn't be happier with the cab. I have a Celestion H30 and a Celestion Blue in the cab.

The H30 sounded very Marshall like on it's own. and I wondered how the Blue would compliment it, but to my surprise the amp was louder and the mids were more noticeable. It is quite hard to put into words the perceived differences. Needless to say the change isn't a subtle one, it is a big sounding amp with a Les Paul (or Tokai copy.)

Putting both speakers in the amp did highlight the common issue 18 watt amps have, that being a lack of headroom. I have the volume control at 10:00 and the amp is breaking up with quite a bit of gain, it's almost like a Trainwreck! 8O 8O
0 x
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott

CurtissRobin
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by CurtissRobin »

mark0614 wrote:Putting both speakers in the amp did highlight the common issue 18 watt amps have, that being a lack of headroom. I have the volume control at 10:00 and the amp is breaking up with quite a bit of gain, it's almost like a Trainwreck! 8O 8O
Issue??!! Issue??!! That's not an issue, that's our 18 Watt amp!

If I may quote a sage in the field,
"Distortion is the tone." -- zaphod_phil

KennyO
0 x

mark0614
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by mark0614 »

Dear Kenny

There are possibilities such as a split load resistors on the anode that would allow one to switch between cleaner tones and the natural 18 watt tones. By using two different coupling caps the bass response can be tailored to avoid out of control bass response some users complain about when the amp is giving it up.
0 x
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott