First 18 watt experience

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

gibson8678
Unrated

First 18 watt experience

Post by gibson8678 »

I'm getting parts to build an 18 watt hoffman stout using a marshall 18 watt clone chassis. Do I qualify? I plan to use either 4x12 or 2x12 75 watt celestion 16ohm wired @ 8ohms. This will be my trial run. Does it sound like I'm headed in the right direction? I am going to build the head. any tips?
0 x

mcrracer
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by mcrracer »

How much do you know already about electronics or amp building? We don't know what to tell you until we know how much you know.
0 x

gibson8678
Unrated

Post by gibson8678 »

not much. I've been battling trying to find a sound i like and i'm tired of buying amps only to sell for a loss so i'm trying to build one to better my understanding. I'm pretty handy, understand basic eletronics but don't know how the heart of an amp beats.
0 x

BDC
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by BDC »

gibson8678 wrote:not much. I've been battling trying to find a sound i like and i'm tired of buying amps only to sell for a loss so i'm trying to build one to better my understanding. I'm pretty handy, understand basic eletronics but don't know how the heart of an amp beats.
I changed out my Marshall 1922 2-12 cab G 12 75 speakers and put in a Hella tone 30 and an Eminence GB Legend and the thing sounds good now.

The G12 75 is more of a heavy metal speaker......
I think they're OK in 4-12 Cabs, but I don't like them in the 2-12s that I've heard...For your 18 watter you should get some speakers that better match your amp.......Speakers make a huge diff. By all means plug your 18 watter into your G 12 75s......but know that it isn't doing your amp justice.....At least compare it with some more suitable speakers....
0 x

WaZaK
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by WaZaK »

A pair of 25 watt (Heritage) G12's in a 212 sound nice on my 18 watter. 75's sounded sorta crappy and thin ......
0 x
I'm the "wrong" side of the pond: 4,500 miles from real ale. Help!