el34 lt anyone

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

menger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

el34 lt anyone

Post by menger »

dont know if this is right forum for this topic, im on my way to a 6l6 deluxe build but id rather do a marshall typy maybe something like a bass lead 20 watt but with el34 and 2 12ax7 or 3. any one done something like this? mark
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

There's been a number of "18Wish" amps, including TMBs and Lite IIbs, built using EL34s, giving around 35W out at 350V. I've never heard of anyone building a 2061 with EL34s before. I guess it should work, but I don't know what mods would be needed to the 20W PI for it to drive EL34s fully.
Last edited by zaphod_phil on Mon 08/10/09 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

menger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by menger »

thanks zaphod i may as well just do a jmt 45, only that forums pretty dead over at ppwatt, was looking for some thing that been done, and i kinda wanted to use cathiod bias, but it maybe time to start a fixed bias build, mark
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

menger wrote:... was looking for some thing that been done, and i kinda wanted to use cathiod bias...
Then why not build yourself a Lite IIb or TMB with EL34 power tubes? There's a few of those already around.
0 x

menger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by menger »

the only thing about that is those amps are set up to soud good with el84 power tubes, right? the el34 dont react like the 84s they need a different preamp set up id think i may just go ahead with the 6l6 deluxe ive got many of these transformer setups, go for a jmt45 next time thanks zaphod mark
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

menger wrote:the only thing about that is those amps are set up to soud good with el84 power tubes, right? the el34 dont react like the 84s they need a different preamp set up id think.
Well maybe yes and no. You actually only need to change two resistor values in the 18W PI to drive the snot out of those EL34s, just like you do with EL84s. Like I said it's been done before. Same goes with 6V6s. I once did an EL34 version of a Spitfire that way, which is roughly in the same gain ball park as a Lite II. The 2061 that you were talking about building also has about the same gain level as a Lite II. And the 18W TMB preamp was of course derived from a Plexi preamp in the first place.
0 x

menger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by menger »

thanks for replys zap but im gonna go ahead and buid the deluxe, my buddy wants it and then build a jtm45 ive got everything for the build but a nice ot and my buds buying me one for the deluxe metros got the full build info over at there forum so ill build it i got two amp to build life is good, :D mark
0 x