Just finished my lite 36

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Deadwood
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Just finished my lite 36

Post by Deadwood »

Hey all, I built this 36er after being so happy with the 18 lite IIb that I recently finished, I was hoping for a similar amp with a bit more whatever and after using the brown note 18W lite IIb pre amp and SS recto in this build just like I did with the 18, I'm very pleased with the results, I used 1 x 1k resistor on each el84 screen as per Mr ZPs ideas and used one 150R 5W per pair for bias with 100uf x 100V cap per pair, no NFB or half power option, just an 18 Lite IIb with four 84s and the 36 watt iron.
All my voltages are low compared to the chart in the downloads section, eg, plates are around 300V, screens are around 280V, bias is 10V etc, all measurements are about 10% below the chart voltages but I'm sure that's OK. I hammered the amp for an hour on 10 and both trannys were almost cold, good news there. 36 watt PT from Ceriatone and some kind of real old Fender OT that TT gave me for nothin, beat that.
FYI I once bought a Heyboer OT and swapped it out in my JTM 45 thinking it would sound better than the Ceriatone iron but could NOT hear any difference so I'm happy to go with Ceriatone iron.
The amp is very similar to the 18 lite that I recently built but just a bit more girth, bigger and tighter bottom end. Really happy with both amps, dare I say it again, I prefer the 36er :oops: Here is a pic of both the 18 and the 36, what a lovely pair.
I wonder, how loud you can go with this design, obviously you'd have to go to EL34s or 6L6s but a nice 50 watter would be interesting, my JTM 50 isn't doing much these days, not sure how much of this awesome tone you'd lose with a 50 watt 2 x el34 amp but I'd like to give it a go, even a hundred watter if it works. I wouldn't know what had to be done the the PA side of it though and I suppose I'm treading on thin ice now but I'd really like to see how a bigger version of these things would sound.
0 x

Brewmaster
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Brewmaster »

The shots of the cabs and controls panels are OK but I find that gut shots of the finished product are a lot sexier. :lol:
0 x