First Amp

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

macombaland

First Amp

Post by macombaland »

Hi everyone. I am new to the forums and I am very interested in building the 36 watt in the downloads section. I have some experience building stompboxes and I want to graduate to my first amp.

Is there any reason why i would not want to build this amp on my first try?
0 x

joe6v6
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by joe6v6 »

Most people start out with something easier, say a lite IIB or one of its varients. Its not that it is much more difficult but there are twice the ammount of connections & that adds up to a stronger possibility of a mistake, plus its better to satrt with a simpler amp so you get a feel for what wires go where and what order to do things in. . Have you listened to any clips? What are you building the amp for? Home, recording, gigging? An 18 watt lite IIB can do all of these things and is probably louder than you would think. I think it will be more enjoyable for you to start there and it will certinaly result in an amp that you are happy with. .. JOE
0 x

macombaland

Post by macombaland »

I really like the sound of an 18 watt I heard over at tonepad.com. Im not sure which it is. Truthfully the only real layouts I have seen have been the ones on this site, and I am not totally sure where to start in choosing one.

I play on the worship band for the college ministry at my church. Its pretty much rock music so I need something that is gonna hang in there. I also play some casual stuff on the side, home recording and stuff.

I know I should start simple but for me it is super tempting to start bigger than I should because I like a challenge. I guess I will keep looking if you have some suggestions, I really do want to start out with 36w though.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

The 18W Marshall tone is one of the most satisfying out there. A ringing chiminess, followed by a tough, crisp yet creamy grind as you dig in. A very touch-sensitive amp. And unless your band is super-loud on stage, an 18W is going to be more than enough. Very likely the PA guy will tell you to turn it down. So I suggest you stay with an 18W. The 36W versions are pretty much the same, but basically with bigger transformers and rectifier, plus two extra power tubes.

For a first build an 18W Lite IIb, a single-channel version of the classic Marshall 18W, is a nice simple build (and you could build it in 36W form if you want). You can get a Lite IIb kit from BrownNote (www.brownnote.com), or you can get a PCB for the Lite IIb from http://guitaramplifierpcbs.com/default.aspx. The same site also does PCBs for the higher gain SuperLite TMB 18W, which features a Plexi-ish preamp with TMB (treble/mid/bass) tone controls.

HTH
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

golfandguitars
Unrated

Post by golfandguitars »

I can second that 18 watts should be ample for church. There's info saying that a 100 watt amp is only 3 or 4 dbs louder than a 50 watt amp.

Also, an epiphone valve junior can be converted to a lite IIb for about as much money as the standard brown note kit. (But you can buy the components as you have the money, and have something to play in the mean time). And when you're done you'll have the 18watt experience. I'm just getting started and I'm going this way.

Good luck :lol: Hope you get as excited about this as I am. 8)
0 x

WaZaK
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by WaZaK »

zaphod_phil wrote: For a first build an 18W Lite IIb, a single-channel version of the classic Marshall 18W, is a nice simple build
+1.
But don't be fooled: there is nothing "Lite" about it's performance! My first build was a LiteIIb, modded with VVR and PPIMV. It's an amazing amp once you learn to drive it - and I'm comparing it with it's 50 watt tube relatives!
(I stopped using my 2266 when I got my Lite fully tweaked.)
golfandguitars wrote:18 watts should be ample for church.
+1 on that, too.
Lets keep it in context: 18 watts "sounds" half as loud as 180 watts.......
0 x
I'm the "wrong" side of the pond: 4,500 miles from real ale. Help!

BDC
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by BDC »

MY 18s cut just fine with one of the louder drummers I've ever heard.
He's been compared to a Gorilla!
0 x

Brewmaster
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Brewmaster »

I used an 18 Watt TMB in church and it was more than enough. No problem being heard over the drummer BUT, if you have doubts, I recommend a speaker with a 100db sensitivity rating or higher. Mine has a Celestion Heritage G12H.
0 x

Camurai

Post by Camurai »

For the record, I have a 5-watt Valve Junior and it's almost loud enough to gig at a church. As a bedroom practice amp I can't even turn it past 1 because it will make your ears bleed. It will literally rattle items off nearby furniture when dimed. When I consider what an 18-watter will do in a similar situation, it seems almost ludicrous, but I keep getting this evil little grin creeping across my face at the thought.
0 x