Recommend sub $75 speaker for 18W project

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

jmilch

Recommend sub $75 speaker for 18W project

Post by jmilch »

I am looking for a decent new or vintage guitar speaker that will be sufficient for my 18 watter.

I would prefer a single 12" or 10". Ebay is fine if anyone has something they can recommend. I have been scouring craigslist and looking locally for something, but I largely do not know exactly what I am looking for.

Maybe someone can point me in the right direction or give me a few pointers. Thanks in advance for any and all help. -Justin
0 x

Phil_S
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Phil_S »

Look at WGS for new speakers at good prices.
http://www.warehousespeakers.com/index.php
I have no personal experience, but people seem to like them. If you can stretch just a bit, you can get a 12" for $69 plus shipping.

eBay is hit or miss and people overcharge for shipping. Every now and then you can get lucky.
0 x

labb
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by labb »

I have use the WGS speakers and have no complaints. One 12" in a 18 watt lite IIb and a 2 x 10 extension speaker..I think the 12 sounds really good in the lite combo. The 12" is the Veteran 30.
0 x

menger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by menger »

didnt you get speakers out of that hammond it should have had some old rola or jensens they make excellent 18 watt speakers, you want 8 or 16 ohm speakers mark
0 x

shardin

Post by shardin »

Since your in MI take a look a W***R Speakers. PM me if you need more info. I just bulit a 2x12 with some Alinco's from there and it sounds good.

The speaker cab is circled in yellow. This is the only pic I have of it currently.
Last edited by shardin on Sat 08/22/09 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

jmilch

Post by jmilch »

menger wrote:didnt you get speakers out of that hammond it should have had some old rola or jensens they make excellent 18 watt speakers, you want 8 or 16 ohm speakers mark
They were neither jensen nor rola, and they were assembled as (2) 6.5" speakers for the reverb and a single 15" for bass requencies. I tested the 15" and it sounded horrible for guitar use. I think the 6.5" speakers are 8 ohms each, but I dont think they could handle a cranked up 18W. :(
0 x

jmilch

Post by jmilch »

shardin wrote:Since your in MI take a look a W***R Speakers. PM me if you need more info. I just bulit a 2x12 with some Alinco's from there and it sounds good.

The speaker cab is circled in yellow. This is the only pic I have of it currently.
It blocked out the name, and you dont have an email in your profile. Just send me an email at jmilcher at gmail dot com
0 x

shardin

Post by shardin »

jmilch wrote:
shardin wrote:Since your in MI take a look a W***R Speakers. PM me if you need more info. I just bulit a 2x12 with some Alinco's from there and it sounds good.

It blocked out the name, and you dont have an email in your profile. Just send me an email at jmilcher at gmail dot com
Duh...sorry, e-mail is on the way.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

shardin wrote:Since your in MI take a look a W***R Speakers.
jmilch wrote:It blocked out the name....
With the sad passing away of TW (RIP) I think it should be safe to mention these products -
https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/ There were some unfortunate legal issue with that in the past....
0 x

jmilch

Post by jmilch »

Thank you so much for the email. I think I am going to go with a pair of those AlNico's you linked, the price is right and I am almost local. Thanks again!
0 x

jmilch

Post by jmilch »

zaphod_phil wrote:
shardin wrote:Since your in MI take a look a W***R Speakers.
jmilch wrote:It blocked out the name....
With the sad passing away of TW (RIP) I think it should be safe to mention these products -
https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/ There were some unfortunate legal issue with that in the past....
I did see he just passed, god bless his family and friends. I was not aware of any legal issues, I did not intend on there being any problems.
0 x

Camurai

Post by Camurai »

Try a Jensen Mod 12-35. The Mods are a great little speaker that can be had for not much money. The 12-35 is under 45 bucks brand new. I picked up an open-box 12-70 for $55. Plenty of power handling, great British tone, clean, clear and punchy.
0 x

reddy351
Unrated

Post by reddy351 »

Oh boy! My first post ever on "18 watt"!

Try this place.

http://www.parts-express.com/speakers.cfm

I have one of their catalogs and it actually describes each speakers particular tones.

Good luck!
0 x