Tube radio components...anything useable?

Tube-specific discussions

Moderators: zaphod_phil, CurtissRobin, colossal

macombaland

Tube radio components...anything useable?

Post by macombaland »

I came across this old tube radio and I am wondering if anything is usable on it for a 36w amp. The radio works(or worked until I took it apart).

The PT isn't labeled but I hope someone could give me a hand.

Follow the link to the pictures I took.
http://picasaweb.google.com/aaronmacomb ... directlink

I would really appreciate any help you can give.

Also...what is the yellow thing in picture 4?
0 x

WaZaK
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Tube radio components...anything useable?

Post by WaZaK »

macombaland wrote:I am wondering if anything is usable on it for a 36w amp.
Generally speaking, RF stuff is not much use for AF and vice versa. Unfortunately the pics are really too dark to see - apart from a load of nice noisy carbon comp resistors (grin).
0 x
I'm the "wrong" side of the pond: 4,500 miles from real ale. Help!

Shrapnel
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Shrapnel »

I dunno what all could be used in an 18Watt type, but IF I read that tube chart right, there's two 6AU6s, which *might* make for a preamp tube similar to the EF86... a 6Y6 output tube, and a 5AZ4 Recto (missing)... might be all the tubes you can use for a guitar amp, but I don't think they'd work for the 18Watt topologies.... using the exising PT, you may have the makings for a project based on some kind of plans on SEWatt.com
0 x
Rock and Roll Aint Noise Pollution, neither is my amp :D

andrekp
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by andrekp »

I'd restore the radio, rather than gut it for something else. That looks to be in nice shape. (check out the Philco Phorum at philcoradio.com for some more info).

Seriously, often times these old radios just need a decent cap job and they sound great (don't plug it in or turn it on - use a lightbulb limiter and test the PT first, then I'd probably replace at least the filter caps first) You'll need to replace all the filter caps (which is likely that can on top (people just restuff them with new caps) and the old wax paper caps inside. After that, my bet is it'll play, if it hasn't been hacked up by someone else.

All mine needed was all the caps replaced and it plays great - it's even still in alignment. You do a nice restore on that cabinet, fix the radio, and this is a nice piece.
0 x

Chappy
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Chappy »

Looks like to me that you have a great chassis there for a cool single ended amp with some vintage iron.

Check the bumblebee cap in the centre as well on image 10. I can`t quite tell if it is Orange Orange Red Purple Yellow or if it is Red Red Orange Purple Yellow. If it is the later then it is a valuable replacement part for late 50`s Gibson Les Pauls.

Chappy
0 x