Mullard RI 12AX7s (Paging ZP)

Tube-specific discussions

Moderators: zaphod_phil, CurtissRobin, colossal

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

rjgtr wrote:Yes the fake Mullards have a ladder plate, but it isn't exactly the same as the similar plate structured real Mullard I have that I compared them to. There's other details of the plate structures between the fake and real Mullards that are different, like the two open rectangles a side on the edge of the real Mullard's plate that are missing on the fake one. The GT's plate structure is very very close.

So I did a side by side listening test just now to be able to respond as accurately as I could. Of course this is subjective.

The real Mullard has a balance and openness that is un-matched by any new production. The low mids are clear and punchy. The high end is smooth.

The GT Mullard is close in overall tone to the real Mullard with a slightly harsher high end and not quite the firmness in the low mids. Not as three dimensional.

The NS fake Mullard sounds good, but isn't as even sounding as the real Mullard. There's an emphasis on the low end, which isn't objectionable, but not like the real Mullard. There's a slight cloudiness to the low mids that most of the Sovtek tubes have (the NS Tungsol seems to have a lot less of this issue).
Thanks Richard, you saved me having to do the A/B test myself, next time I got some NS "Mullards" in. :) I can't say I noticed the low emphasis or cloudiness with the fake Mullards that you mentioned. Going from memory, to me they seemed to have a slight high end emphasis compared to the real Mullards, which was however still sweet and smooth - not harsh at all. I had also noticed the slight difference in the way the two halves of the anodes are joined, but I doubt that it would be significant, since the seems aren't involved in the flow of the electron space charge. After all the reports of reliability problems with GT's 12AX7Ms, I never bothered trying those.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

The cloudiness in Sovteks isn't huge but it is there. It's sort like the edginess of JJs. It's also not huge but is there.

I can remember the first time I put a ANOS Mullard into V1 in an amp. I understood why they are considered the best. The even tone and loud punch is just so cool.

The GT 12ax7M's are a really good sounding tube, if you get a good one. Ei 12ax7s are the same. They sound great if you can get a good one. The problem with both is that they might start out good and then go bad. With the GT 12ax7M, they end up developing a ticking noise. With the EI, they just go massively microphonic.

Makes you appreciate how good the mass marketted tubes of yesteryear were.
0 x

kleuck
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kleuck »

I had/have no problem with the old "silver plate" EI, and they really have the TFK touch.
I owned 3 or 4 "grey plates", all were or went microphonics really fast : crap.
The SP are low gain ECC83 compared to TFK, similar to the ****'s lower gain than Mullard ECC83.
0 x

lespaulplayer

Post by lespaulplayer »

rjgtr wrote:Could the fake Mullard just be a selected version of the LPS?
That's exactly what Doug Preston from Doug's Tubes stated in an email to me...
0 x
Livin' the 18 watt lifestyle! :kool:

WaZaK
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by WaZaK »

LesPaulPlayer wrote: That's exactly what Doug Preston from Doug's Tubes stated in an email to me...
And yet on his website he states -
New Sensor has been working on this long plate Mullard reissue for a while.
It doesn't take "a while" to hand pick LPS's.
Discrepancies between public and private comments?
The plot thickens ......
0 x
I'm the "wrong" side of the pond: 4,500 miles from real ale. Help!

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

WaZaK wrote:And yet on his website he states -
The plot thickens ......
Maybe he really means they spent a lot of time negotiating with Philips for the rights to use the Mullard name. :lol:
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

WaZaK
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by WaZaK »

And in the absence of any substantive evidence regarding the existence of a full Mullard production line at Reflektor (other than a silk screen printing machine!) I guess we have little more to go on .........
Although this thread has offered little in the way of new factual knowledge, at least we have shared opinions and what information we don't have! Lololol.
(Actually I did learn a bit about tube "flavours" from other people's experience, so certainly not a waste of time.)
0 x
I'm the "wrong" side of the pond: 4,500 miles from real ale. Help!

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

zaphod_phil wrote:
WaZaK wrote:And yet on his website he states -
The plot thickens ......
Maybe he really means they spent a lot of time negotiating with Philips for the rights to use the Mullard name. :lol:
And it doesn't look like a long plate Mullard anyway. It looks like the normal ladder style plate. Maybe they're still working on the long plate and are selling this version until that's ready? :roll:
0 x