15" Speaker

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

txbluesboy
Unrated

15" Speaker

Post by txbluesboy »

I came across a 15" Speaker, without mentioning brand name,its got a 2"voice coil with a 60 oz magnet,(supposedly like a Fane). Does anyone have any experience with this speaker? What kind of cab should it be in for guitar? Thanks
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

Sounds like an Eminence Legend 1518... Cool speaker. I pair mine with a an old Fender Blue Alnico 10". That combination in an open cab is the best "American" tone I've ever been able to get. Round bottom end, clear mids, sparkle on top. Cone breakup and alnico compression from the 10, clarity from the 15.

Running on its own, the 15 drops off around 4 kHz rather than the 5 kHz of most 12s. It has a lot of top end though, it's just not as extended. This can be cool with the right amp and guitar or for blues or jazz.

I would definitely go open cab unless you like a lot of low end though.
0 x

txbluesboy
Unrated

Post by txbluesboy »

Thank krx, I have some Jensen alnico 10's, I wonder if this would work with it? I lean toward open back cabs myself. Could you give me some dimensions on your cab and the size of the back opening? Thanks again for your reply. Terry
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

Don't know the dimensions off hand, but it's the width of a 2x12 but a little taller to put the 10" diagonally above the 15". Back is 2/3 closed with an opening in the middle. If it's a seamed cone Jensen, they should work well together!
0 x

Chappy
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Chappy »

KRX

Thanks for posting on this. I just acquired two 15in and two 10in Magnavox alnico speakers from an old Conn organ extension cabinet. I was going to build a 2x10 cab, but now you've got me thinking about the 15 and 10 mix.

Chappy
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

Glad you're all liking the idea! It's kind of the same thing as mixing alnico and ceramic 12" speakers or any two dissimilar speakers. Aside from the different frequency response and compression/breakup, you also get the fast response of the 10 mixed with the softer attack of the 15. Jeff Earl at JDesign built mine for me so they have the plans on file -- I highly recommend using them if you're better with a soldering iron than a saw like me.
0 x