Did the original 18 watts have ceramic or alnico speakers?

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

krx wrote: I wouldn't use a P12 to rock either.
Nor would I. Neither would I use a V30, although they're a popular rock speaker. Just their highs make my teeth hurt. I prefer the smoothness of the TTs.

AFAIK Eminence also buys their hemp cones from Tone Tubby aka Brown Soun.
leslie wrote:And the price for the pair (one is reconed) is not too bad....
One of those speakers is the very same one I posted the picture of earlier. So he was originally selling the pair for $1k, now he's brought down the price after realising that one of them's been reconed. :lol:
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

leslie
Transformer Guy

Post by leslie »

zaphod_phil wrote: One of those speakers is the very same one I posted the picture of earlier. So he was originally selling the pair for $1k, now he's brought down the price after realising that one of them's been reconed. :lol:
I found another similar thread...(I like part with Malmsteen and Vai LoL) :mrgreen:
http://www.18watt.com/modules.php?name= ... sc&start=0
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

speaking of old fiber...

Post by krx »

So I'm reading the newspaper and come across this article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... id=topnews

page 2: "The reason for this fight lies in toilet-paper engineering. Each sheet is a web of wood fibers, and fibers from old trees are longer, which produces a smoother and more supple web. Fibers made from recycled paper -- in this case magazines, newspapers or computer printouts -- are shorter. The web often is rougher."

So looks like there is something to this old-growth thing.

Also, to answer the question, "What price softness?" Any price. Any price. :mrgreen:
0 x

CurtissRobin
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Re: speaking of old fiber...

Post by CurtissRobin »

krx wrote:"The reason for this fight lies in toilet-paper engineering. Each sheet is a web of wood fibers, and fibers from old trees are longer, which produces a smoother and more supple web. Fibers made from recycled paper -- in this case magazines, newspapers or computer printouts -- are shorter. The web often is rougher."

So looks like there is something to this old-growth thing.
If the original paper was made from young trees then recycled, the recycled paper would still have shorter fibers than the original. The shorter fibers are not due to the age of the tree, they're due to the second pulping that recycling involves. It's the old story: "I cut it too short so I cut it again and it's still too short."

If there's something to the old growth thing, the explanation you're buying ain't it.

KennyO
0 x

SoCalSteve
Unrated

Post by SoCalSteve »

My Heritage G12M arrived today and I am mightily pleased! Very clear and articulate, plus that tone that is so familiar. Celestion did a great job with this speaker.
0 x