RIP Ted Weber

The place to discuss 18W-related ampfests, get-togethers, gigs, etc. These should be of interest specifically to 18watt.com members.

Moderators: JMPGuitars, CurtissRobin, zaphod_phil, rock_mumbles

Graydon
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

RIP Ted Weber

Post by Graydon »

I don't know any details but I read on TGP that Ted passed away today.

I would like to express my sincere condolences to Ted's family.
0 x
Sincerely,
Graydon Stuckey
www.gdsamps.com
www.guytron.com

WaZaK
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by WaZaK »

Whilst it is always a tragedy for the nearest and dearest concerned, for whom I have every sympathy, it would be somewhat hypocritical for some of us, including me, to comment further.
0 x
I'm the "wrong" side of the pond: 4,500 miles from real ale. Help!

joe6v6
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by joe6v6 »

I would like to express my sincere condolences to Ted's family
Same here, very sad and very sorry to hear this. despite any diffrences on this site I always felt that he made a lot of great contributions to our hobby. .. JOE
0 x

djunks2

Post by djunks2 »

Water under the bridge.
Ted Weber was a giant in the amp world. From speakers to DIY, he will be greatly missed.
0 x

echuta13
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by echuta13 »

He was such a big part of the DIY amp scene. Even though most knew he wasn't doing too well, it's still a shock to hear the news. He will definitely be missed. :(
0 x

Wayne_Alexander
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Wayne_Alexander »

I wish his family well. I'll miss him.
0 x

what_wires
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by what_wires »

Although I was a member of the 18W forum during the Ted Weber/Jersey Aaron meltdown, I was fortunate to not get wrapped up in it, thank goodness.

In my dealings with Ted and his crew via email and phone over the years I have never had a bad or even marginal experience with them. They have all been great. I've made purchases and forgot to get a little thing like a mounting clamp for a cap can or something like that. You know what I talking about.. it is so frustrating.. But I would call Ted and the next thing I knew I had a package on my porch free of charge. Try that with other suppliers. When I was having a speakers re-coned because I was looking for something special, Weber would always patiently answer my questions regardless how "dead the horse is".

I have always been treated with respect by Ted and I am deeply saddened by his passing. What a great loss to the guitar community.
0 x

mcrracer
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by mcrracer »

I offer my condolences also. I have always been treated great when dealing with his company. Any problems were always addressed way beyond the call of duty. My best to his family. He will be missed.
0 x

doctornorbert
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by doctornorbert »

I also offer my condolences. I was always happy with my interactions with his company, and maintained (and still do) an agnostic stance on the whole meltdown that happened a few years ago.

I'd say on balance his contribution to the DIY amp world was a positive one.
0 x

djunks2

Post by djunks2 »

what_wires wrote:Although I was a member of the 18W forum during the Ted Weber/Jersey Aaron meltdown, I was fortunate to not get wrapped up in it, thank goodness.

In my dealings with Ted and his crew via email and phone over the years I have never had a bad or even marginal experience with them. They have all been great. I've made purchases and forgot to get a little thing like a mounting clamp for a cap can or something like that. You know what I talking about.. it is so frustrating.. But I would call Ted and the next thing I knew I had a package on my porch free of charge. Try that with other suppliers. When I was having a speakers re-coned because I was looking for something special, Weber would always patiently answer my questions regardless how "dead the horse is".

I have always been treated with respect by Ted and I am deeply saddened by his passing. What a great loss to the guitar community.
I've dealt with Ted and C.J. for about 90% of my amp projects, about 40 or 50 over the last two years. (you could say I got the bug) I've never had a problem as a customer. He made a great impact on the building world that I'm sure his family will carry on. I know most would agree he was the ultimate tinkerer. Many thanks to him.
Last edited by djunks2 on Sat 08/15/09 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

grndluxe
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by grndluxe »

i wrote recently and asked a question about what resistors were included in a kit. i got an email within 24hrs saying that he had been very busy and having to go to the dr a great deal. i've written him before and asked questions and i always got a fairly quick and friendly answer. decent guy.
0 x

doctornorbert
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by doctornorbert »

Just 2 months ago I emailed TW with a question about some speakers I already had, and got a (helpful) response within 24 hours.
0 x

Arfman
Unrated

Post by Arfman »

FYI, the handful of times that 18watt.com came up over at the Weber forum he had nothing but good things to say. When it went off line for a bit he expressed regret that this wealth of information for the amp building community would not be available. I've dealt with Ted for several years, just communicating with him last week. He was way too young to have this happen and you could sense his suffering over the past year. Just rambling here as I'm still stunned over the loss. Up till the end there was optimism that he would make it through to get his lung transplant. RIP Ted.
0 x

bluefire
Unrated

Post by bluefire »

:( RIP Ted. Great guy, great speakers. He will be missed.
Dave
0 x

harpo

Post by harpo »

what_wires wrote: In my dealings with Ted and his crew via email and phone over the years I have never had a bad or even marginal experience with them. They have all been great. I've made purchases and forgot to get a little thing like a mounting clamp for a cap can or something like that. You know what I talking about.. it is so frustrating.. But I would call Ted and the next thing I knew I had a package on my porch free of charge. Try that with other suppliers.
Ted did the same for me. He once inspected, cleaned, repaired a small hole from an errant stud in the surround, and remagnetized the alnico ring of a mid-50's P8R for me free of charge. That included shipping it back to me. It was just a measly little P8R, but Ted gave it the same care as a vintage Vox Blue. He just loved old speakers :-)
I bought many speakers and chassis fom him beginning in 1995. He was always honest, helpful, and had GREAT speaker products. We were always on the same wavelength when it came to speakers. He had a slightly different philosophy on amps at times.
The DIY amp community will not be the same without him. He will be missed greatly.
Turn it up loud Ted.
JWS
0 x

Shrapnel
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Shrapnel »

They've got an obit on his site now as you first enter it. It's also sad that someone thought his illness was faked just to get out from taking care of his customers. He's already missed by many, and I feel saddened for the loss myself, as overall, he sounded like a good guy.
0 x
Rock and Roll Aint Noise Pollution, neither is my amp :D

Brewmaster
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Brewmaster »

I was really sorry to hear this. My prayers go out to his family.
0 x

wingnut1
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by wingnut1 »

Ted will be missed, but he has left a tremendous legacy will all the great amp kits that he has left for us to build and enjoy. While there are a lot of DIY companies out there specialize in kits for one or a couple of vintage amps, Weber provides a hugh tonal palette to choose from. That doesn't even include the great selection of fantastic speakers that you can choose from to play them through. While I will miss Ted, I have so many reminders of him that I play through every day that I know I will never forget him.
0 x

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

This is very sad. I've bought a lot of parts from Ted over the years. Ted always dealt honestly with me and I'll miss him.
0 x

18wanter
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by 18wanter »

Yeah, I heard he was sick...Wow to bad ! ..Bummer ...I just recieved my Alnico 6 1/2 " speaker for a champion 600 I ordered ..I knew he was sick or something but never thought it was going this way !

So sad ! .....RIP Ted Weber ...Kevin
0 x