Experiences with ECC81 /ECC82

Tube-specific discussions

Moderators: zaphod_phil, CurtissRobin, colossal

V_amp

Experiences with ECC81 /ECC82

Post by V_amp »

Hello all,

Nowadays in my 18W I have plugged 2 EL84 Micron (comparing these tubes with several other EL84 I think they are Tungsran re-branded) and 3 Svetlana 12AX7 reissue.

So, I have two ECC81 and two ECC82 PAN (RSD re-branded?). Both are NOS tubes.

Would someone know tell me If I could get a good combination with these tubes to get a great tone?

For example I would like make the clean channel as cleaner as possible and at the same volume (almost at the maximum) , the TMB as crunched as possible.

In this way I could use a foot switch to switch beteen the channels.

I believe that maybe it's not the best way, but I have already the tubes....

THANKS
FAB
0 x

jamesrr
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Re: Experiences with ECC81 /ECC82

Post by jamesrr »

V_amp wrote:... I have two ECC81 and two ECC82 PAN (RSD re-branded?). Both are NOS tubes.
Possibly would be better discussed in the Tube forum, but until then...

ECC81 is AKA a 12AT7 & the ECC82 as a 12AU7

Neither of these tubes are particularly prized as Guitar amp tubes.

AU7 is particularly low gain, & some people find the AT7's distortion not so pleasing...

I have a pair of NOS AT7's that I quite like, but not for providing nice crunch.

I can't see any 18watt that you'd put an AU7 in under any circumstances. Still I'm only a newby...

cheers,

jr
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

The Marshall 18W has a unique tone and charm, some argue the best out of all the Marshalls. Apparently Ken Bran, who was one of the original three people who designed and built the first Marshall amps, also holds that opinion. So why spoil that vibe with low-gain tubes? You could make the amp a bit cleaner by putting a 12AT7/ECC81 in the V1 position, where it won't get overdriven, unless you use a boost pedal in front. But I often wonder what use is a clean Marshall 18W... :roll:
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

Colin_D
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Colin_D »

If you have a TMB then each channel uses one triode of V1. If you put a lower gain tube in there you'll sacrifice gain from the TMB channel too. Since the normal channel in a TMB only uses half a tube, there's nowhere you could swap in a lower gain tube without killing the TMB channel.
Well... you might not KILL it, but it will have less gain for sure. Don't do it!!!! :P
0 x

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

The ECC81 would work for the phase inverter, but wouldn't give the best crunch. If you want the amp cleaner I think a 12AY7 is a better choice because it sounds like a low gain 12ax7.
0 x

kleuck
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kleuck »

rjgtr wrote:The ECC81 would work for the phase inverter, but wouldn't give the best crunch. If you want the amp cleaner I think a 12AY7 is a better choice because it sounds like a low gain 12ax7.
I agree, i love 12AY7 and 5751 (little more gain, like 12AT7)
0 x