18 watt combo ????

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

bgood
Unrated

18 watt combo ????

Post by bgood »

Wondering if a back panel only chassis mount is adequate. Bought a cab for a Trinity build that I subsequently found out doesn't include the mounting blocks for the four holes on the inside part of the chassis. I can add them but won't if it's not really necessary. Any insights from builders is appreciated. I'm sure they would help stabililze things but are they worth the effort or will the rear panel be sufficiently stable.

Thanks
0 x

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

It's probably better if you do, but I've got an amp with the chassis on just the back panel that's been fine for 5 years now. So you don't have to have the inside blocks.
0 x

stevesuk
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by stevesuk »

Marshall's Vintage 100 Watt combos are sometimes mounted on the removable rear panel.
They have huge transformers and a choke with a steel chassis.
The one I sold recently weighed a lot.
It had survived 30+ years of rough handling by the look of it and the chassis mount and panel was still perfectly stable.

Steve UK
www.valvepower.co.uk
0 x

bgood
Unrated

Thanks

Post by bgood »

Good news. I didn't want to get out the hardwood, clamps and glue for this project. Thanks!!!

I'll be back for more help when the iron get's heated up in a week or two.
0 x

timbo_93631
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by timbo_93631 »

I built my combo using a Mojo Musical cab that had no blocks/wings, but I added them because the GDS chassis I bought had open ends and I thought over time it would probably sag. And if, God forbid, the amp got dropped the chassis would get all out of whack from the weight of the transformers pulling down. It was really easy, I just made a T shaped wings from plywood and used gorilla glue and screws to attach it on the inside of the cab. Then I drilled holes in the back panel so I could have the chassis anchored on that side too. A little extra time with the table saw and chop saw, some flat black spray bomb, glue, and screws = a whole lot more peace of mind. I also built my combo with the intention of selling it after awhile so I have tried to do everything more towards the bulletproof side of things. Next build I am gonna get a cab from Swanson. They have the best looking, best built cabs I have seen IMO.
0 x