36w tmb speaker???

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

macombaland

36w tmb speaker???

Post by macombaland »

I need help choosing the impedance on my 36 watt. I am not really sure what the difference is.
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

The 16 Ohm tap will generally give you a fuller bandwidth (i.e. better) sound than the lower impedance taps. Two 8-Ohms in series will get you there (G12H30s or Greenbacks are popular), or use a single 16-Ohm rated for 50+ Watts (some good choices from Eminence).
0 x

macombaland

Post by macombaland »

I have built a 1x12 cab so I am gonna stick with one. I was thinking of getting a greenback but now I see that the wattage is too low on that. How about this one? http://tubedepot.com/sp-cel-vintage30.html?

the one pictured is 8ohm, but I would get the 16.
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

Most people don't like Vintage 30s with these amps. Do a search on here for Eminence speakers and check out their website. You'll find a lot of good information. Warehouse Speakers also makes a high-power version of the G12H30 called the Reaper HP. Haven't heard that one myself but I've liked their other speakers.
0 x

macombaland

Post by macombaland »

i was really wanting to go with celestion. I may be able to fit 2 12's in my cab but I'll have to measure.

Or....would 2x10 be a strange thing to do? http://tubedepot.com/sp-cel-tube10.html
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

Some of the original 18W amps were 2x10. The new 10" Greenback is supposed to be very nice. The "Tube 10" is a junk speaker.

Frankly, Celestion doesn't make a single good speaker rated over 30W. Why are you hung up on Celestion? All of their sub-$200 speakers are made in China these days anyways.
0 x

macombaland

Post by macombaland »

krx wrote: Why are you hung up on Celestion? All of their sub-$200 speakers are made in China these days anyways.
I suppose its purely image. always hear so much about them. Or maybe ignorance.

I must say though that I was tempted by that reaper.
0 x

colossal

Post by colossal »

macombaland wrote:i was really wanting to go with celestion. I may be able to fit 2 12's in my cab but I'll have to measure.
Just my $0.02 and take it for what it's worth, but I think you would be happiest with a 2x12 arrangement with your 36W; both for the power rating requirement but also tone. A pair of Celestion Greenbacks (G12M-25W) or, as krx mentioned, a Greenback paired with a Celestion GH1230 would really give you The Tone. The latter pairing is quite popular with a lot of guys and the two speakers compliment one another very well. I have an Avatar Contemporary closed back 2x12 cab loaded with re-issue Greenbacks that has fantastic breakup and is quite warm and springy. You can really hear the speakers work and compress wonderfully when you palm-mute low chords or notes. The closed back keeps them from "flubbing out" however the cabinet is quite beamy.
macombaland wrote:Or....would 2x10 be a strange thing to do?
You're going to get more girth out of a 12" speaker. I think a 2x10 might be a bit shrill but perhaps others would have a different take.

Good luck.
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

Warehouse and Eminence (and Mojo and Weber) are all making great speakers in the USA. Celestion has some good speakers, too, but they generally cost more and are made in China.

Scumback is another line you might consider. They're widely considered superior vintage reproductions of the classic Celestion speakers AND they're available in higher power versions (and they're more expensive than most other speakers). From what I understand, Scumbacks are made by Weber. Do a search on here for lots more info.
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

colossal wrote:
macombaland wrote:Or....would 2x10 be a strange thing to do?
You're going to get more girth out of a 12" speaker. I think a 2x10 might be a bit shrill but perhaps others would have a different take.
I disagree. 10" speakers can be thick and fat with no shrillness and 12" can be thin and harsh. All depends on the speaker.

Also, I personally far prefer an open-back cab to a closed back. Depends on your style though.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Yes, not all 10-inch speakers are alike (nor are 12-inchers), so we can't generalise. The original Marshall 18W also came in a 2X10 combo version, But Tube 10s aren't what most people would rate as a particularly good speakers - I'm trying hard not to call hem c**p. :) If you want a Celestion 10-incher, the 10" version of the Greenback, the G10 would be the one to go for - http://professional.celestion.com/guita ... .asp?ID=33 Also Eminence and Weber both make some real butt-kicking British style 10" speakers.

Edit: Oops - I just realised that krx posted pretty much the same thing! :)
krx wrote:Scumback is another line you might consider. They're widely considered superior vintage reproductions of the classic Celestion speakers AND they're available in higher power versions (and they're more expensive than most other speakers). From what I understand, Scumbacks are made by Weber. Do a search on here for lots more info.
Scumback do some very accurate reproductions of certain iconic vintage Celestion speakers that you can't buy today. FYI the magnet/basket assemblies come from Weber, but AFAIK they're actually assembled by Scumback, using special cones.

Warehouse Speakers are also effectively clones of Celestions, that many would rate as better then their current-production Celestion equivalents. They're also very competitive on price.
krx wrote:Frankly, Celestion doesn't make a single good speaker rated over 30W.
However, don't forget the 50W Alnico Gold - but that one is mucho dinero. :(
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

zaphod_phil wrote:
Yeah, I'd just buy a Red Fang if I wanted a 50W Blue.
0 x

Brewmaster
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Brewmaster »

krx wrote:The 16 Ohm tap will generally give you a fuller bandwidth (i.e. better) sound than the lower impedance taps. Two 8-Ohms in series will get you there (G12H30s or Greenbacks are popular), or use a single 16-Ohm rated for 50+ Watts (some good choices from Eminence).
The Cannabis Rex is ideal for this. Not a lot of $$$ and delivers the goods with a 36 watter. With the 102 db sensitivity it's REALLY LOUD as well, for those who care about such things. :lol: 8)
krx wrote:
zaphod_phil wrote:
Yeah, I'd just buy a Red Fang if I wanted a 50W Blue.
Yes, I agree again. I have had both. The Red Fang covers the same territiory really well for less $$$.
0 x

demonufo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by demonufo »

You could always look for a second hand G12M-65! :wink:

Or maybe a brand new Scumback M75-65W (or a M55-65W, or a H55-65W or even a H75-65W) 8)
0 x

PaulBlandford
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by PaulBlandford »

My 2c:
I have several British-made V30's that I have broken in on the Variac. They sound way better than 200 dollar speakers by the same maker IMO. They don't sound quite so good until you're pushing them, they don't like being played quietly. In an average band scenario they are the only speaker I can make work with an 18 watt amp. The "classic" choices just fall appart when I try them.

P.S. Not all sub 200-dollar Celestions speakers are made in china. If you buy through Mesa, you're good because they will not handle any of the China Celestions.

-Paul
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

PaulBlandford wrote:My 2c:
I have several British-made V30's that I have broken in on the Variac. They sound way better than 200 dollar speakers by the same maker IMO. They don't sound quite so good until you're pushing them, they don't like being played quietly. In an average band scenario they are the only speaker I can make work with an 18 watt amp. The "classic" choices just fall appart when I try them.

P.S. Not all sub 200-dollar Celestions speakers are made in china. If you buy through Mesa, you're good because they will not handle any of the China Celestions.

-Paul
All Celestions except the Heritage and alnico models are made in China now. They might be doing some OEM speakers in England still, but everything else is made in China.

If you're a metal guy you might like V30s. If you want any kind of "vintage" sound at all though, stay very far away.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Heh, Paul is real cool blues player. :) So he's working somewhat outside of the box, as well as being one of the very few people who likes V30s with an 18W - you can pretty much count them on the finger's of one hand after a couple have been amputated. But variety is what makes life interesting. A key point is that Paul is talking about Mezza's OEM V30s, which are somewhat mellower than the usual kind - maybe to help offset some harshness of a typical Mezza DR or TR amp. I've played through a set of these in a studio near me, so I can vouch for their mellowness.
krx wrote:All Celestions except the Heritage and alnico models are made in China now. They might be doing some OEM speakers in England still, but everything else is made in China.
According to an e-mail I got from "Dr Decibel", basically any speakers being produced in lower quantities - hence the Alnico, Neodymium and Heritage range, plus a few OEM orders, presumably such as Mezza's, are made in England. There are also some OEM Alnico Blues being made in China now, specifically for Chinese-built Vox amps. I've read that they have a slightly smoother top end than the regular Blues, which makes me want to try some.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

kyoungsteadt
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kyoungsteadt »

I have a Mesa 2x12 with V30s, once broken in this cab sounds great with pretty much any amp I've connected to it. Nice clean tone, better than a Greenback, and the distortion sounds good too.
0 x

guitarmike2107
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by guitarmike2107 »

PaulBlandford wrote:My 2c:
They don't sound quite so good until you're pushing them, they don't like being played quietly.
-Paul
After trying several different Celestion speakers at different volumes I would say most speakers sound rubbish at really low volumes… or maybe its just the way my ear interprets it.. but rubbish it stays.. you have to turn them up a little at least to really get decent tone.

Mike
0 x